Calling all W/S-212 E250 petrol owners...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harvin1975

Car
E Class Estate W212; VW Golf
I'm due to take delivery of mine next month.

Still not had a chance to test drive one and other than the old What Car review there doesn't seem to be many reviews.
However, speaking to a few dealers back in May/June it appears at one point this engine was getting ordered more than the diesel. So - I'm hoping that someone out there must have one of the 211hp 7G E250 petrol engines.
Additionally, there aren't any local to me.

So, if you own one of these mystical motors keen to get your thoughts/opinions

Really...does nobody own one of these petrol E250 models??

Odd, because not everyone drives 10k + and need a diesel and this is the only petrol model they do (excluding the AMG models).

Surely some people must own this model - where are you guys?

Harvin....

Yup I own one :D

First off I am anti diesel :eek:

Despite buying two new AX diesels in the mid 90's whilst everyone else my age was ragging the titis off hot hatches. I even spent 2 years full time servicing the cancerous things (towable to containerised Megawatt sets), so I have a fair idea of what goes bang too. I my mind Diesel was great until the high pressure injection set ups. Indeed the original built to specification not an accountant high pressure fuel systems were great.

But I digress... I did try a last of the line 6 speed automatic CDTI 16V/ JTD Vectra wagon, which was fine until I went through 6" of flood water and hydraulically locked it at 44k ( air intake is beneath the fog light in the splitter, EXCELLENT design).

Anyway over Christmas I went shopping for a new wagon. I had decided on a petrol because I wanted one. Originally nearly new, but such things just do not exist, or seemed to be coupled to a manual transmission. A proper torque converter (rather than automated manual, ie Powershift) automatic AND a petrol is a rare combination. Volvo could do a V40 but no larger. Audi could in an A6, BMW could in a 5 series too. A Passat existed (but was Audi money) The Skoda Supurb theoretically existed, but was on pre built stock only pending the new model. Jaguar? 500 miles in an XF wagon put me off, can't put my finger on it, might have been the trinkets and touchscreen, I still couldn't tell you. That left the Insigna, which has that stupidly large load lip from the bumper to the actual load bay. Plenty of 4x4's, the VW Caravelle, Tourneo. I pondered.

Audi hit the scrap heap first, I could forgive the poor local dealers, but the inside of the A's is a dogs dinner. Awfull mess. Which annoyed me because they look fabulous from the outside. I couldn't source a pale interior in the flesh, or Google one to see if it looked better.

BMW next. What She wanted, she used to have an E39 and we ran it from low miles to 200k, no problems at all. Sat in a 5 series. She didn't like it - claustrophobic like an old Jaguar. Liked the 3 series - useless in the back if you have teenagers, no leg space. BMW refused to build me a LWB 3 series or put a 3 series dash in a 5 series :D so BMW got scratched. Best dealership experience however, sublime.

Mercedes next. We both sat in a C class. SOLD. Went for a test drive, then we did the deal there and then (effectively Inchcape will do it for this, will you match it? I will stick 10% down today. Worked very well!) Ordered up a C200 sport wagon, petrol automatic, in Hyacinth with a 360 camera. Thought no more of it until the end of April when Hyacinth and 360 couldn't be ordered. Even with several MB UK case files. So that's when the E class adventure started. Can I get Hyacinth? Yes. can I get Silk beige? Yes. 360... No chance grimaced the sales manager, not even on a GL! So went for a test drive (Diesel obviously, no one could remember driving a petrol one ever) checked it was basically the same engine I had tried in a C class, and worked out a price. A very good one. The wife wasn't convinced, at all. As such this made want the E even more! I signed, and basically worried until last month when it arrived... So...

.... As such this made want the E even more! I signed, and basically worried until last month when it arrived... So...

- and like a good book you've left me with a cliffhanger.
Very keen to know how you're getting on with it!

Harvin,

Quick impressions on a S212 250 petrol?

Front too floaty.
Plenty powerful enough.
Fair economy.

In depth impressions? Please take my driving style into account. Basically make progress anywhere that's not residential - back lanes, motorways, route nationals etc. Not trousers on fire Audi A4 sport line progress you understand, I'm not a thug :D Years driving vans obviously never leaves you! Basically I'm a car enthusiast and drive like one if I can - clean smooth quick.

Please note this the view in MY MIND actual driving skillz may vary.

The front end does plough wide, the steering is American light, a one finger job. Selecting the 'S' button, rectifies this and makes it drive like a C class on comfort setting (if that make sense). So I use that. Helpfully it just drops a gear, not several, then raises the gear when the ecu decides your not going to floor it; you just need things a bit tighter. The damping is always acceptable, never crashes though I can't tell I have rear air suspension, it just does its job effectively.

POWARRR wise, as Rolls Royce would tell you is ample. I driven a lot of quicker things, but the E class sort of tricks you how quick it's going. You think "I thought it would be quicker" to yourself then you glance at the speedo and grin! Now that speedo dial. COMPLETELY UNREADABLE. You will have the digital speed readout up constantly in the middle of the dial, and toggle to other functions. Well I do. One last thing: this Mercedes point to point is timed quicker than the mint 28k A3 Quattro Turbo I own. But the A3 feels so much quicker to drive. That kind of sums up the power - not as much as you think, but actually more than you need.

Far quicker than the 220 Diesel I test drove.

Economy. To be fair I'm not driving to be economical, I never have. I often try to be a rolling roadblock (!) but I just can't do it. So driving normally not watching the fuel computer, the occansional foot down overtake move, on a still tight engine (just shy of a 1000 miles) is bang on 30 mpg on the readout, and pencil and paper at the pumps. My commute is all B road 30/40/NSL @ 11 miles. All on super unleaded, non-supermarket fuel. I sat on 34 mpg on a run down to Portsmouth and back, 90% motorway and dual carriage way stuff.

Negatives?

Idle is dog rough and noisy from the GDI set up. Only outside, not in car.
Factory boot liner too long, and needs to be shoved against seats or electric tailgate will not latch.
Useless YOU HAVE CRASHED ALLREADY parking sensors. Parking sensor hating wife loves them.
No where to balance elbow when driving, I'm sort of adapting (van thing again).

Positives?

Lovely sweet precision whoosh as you floor it - not a tractor being thrashed sound.
Easy comfortable rear three seater.
Excellent visibility.

On a personal note I love light interiors, the silk beige with the gloss walnut looks fabulous, like a luxury Mercedes. I avoided to AMG purely because I like the exterior chrome that the 2015's lost, even if the AMG has a far better front bumper. SE V AMG wheels are a draw I reckon.

So in conclusion? The appeal grows the more I drive it. A half hour test drive (petrol or diesel) might not win you over. I think you will be happy :cool:

Last edited:
Forget to add:

COMMAND MEH.
COMMAND NAVIGATION. DOUBLE MEH.

Slow and dimwitted. The stand alone Beckers I've had the last ten years walk over it.

Thanks Alf - some great feedback there and definitely worth the wait!

So - seems like you have no regrets on choice of engine. Other than the unrefined idle sound on the exterior.

Power & Performance:
Glad you're happy with the power. I'm coming from a 3.5 V6 Petrol Murano - so although 0-60 the MB will be quicker - it's going to be interesting how it compare at the higher end.
Wish MB had a wider petrol range - but guess we'll see the Petrol/Hybrid combo emerging in the new E Class next year.

Colour:
I also went with Hyacinth Red - not having seen it. Really wanted something different from the monochrome sea of cars in the car park.
What do think of the colour? Worth the extra?

COMAND:
Really disappointed to hear it's slow and you don't like.
Is it true that this is just voice controlled - i.e. No touchscreen, mouse/pointer?

Parking Sensors:
I'm guessing you never went with the 360 camera. Didn't realize car had audible parking sensors as well.

Comfort:
Liking your descriptions. Like you - I also want somewhere comfy for my elbow. My current car either has my elbow too low (can't reach steering wheel), or too high and can reach wheel but not that comfy. I'm surprised MB haven't given this more thought.

Fuel:
I'm likely to suffer worse MPG than you having short <4 mile stop start journeys twice a day. However, interested in why you're using super unleaded. I know this is going slightly off-topic, but have you noticed any difference to your MPG. I've often wondered whether it's worth the extra pounds at the pump.

I guess there will be a few subtle differences as I also ordered air suspension all round. Also got the AMG Night Edition with Premium Plus as really wanted the upgraded sound system and panoramic roof.

Cheers.

Harvin, my thoughts:

Thanks Alf - some great feedback there and definitely worth the wait!

So - seems like you have no regrets on choice of engine. Other than the unrefined idle sound on the exterior.

Power & Performance:
Glad you're happy with the power. I'm coming from a 3.5 V6 Petrol Murano - so although 0-60 the MB will be quicker - it's going to be interesting how it compare at the higher end.
Wish MB had a wider petrol range - but guess we'll see the Petrol/Hybrid combo emerging in the new E Class next year.

Yup, if I could have gone larger I would have too.

Colour:
I also went with Hyacinth Red - not having seen it. Really wanted something different from the monochrome sea of cars in the car park.
What do think of the colour? Worth the extra?

I had only seen one C class, and a moving E in the colour in the flesh. Two different colours - Orange in the bright sunshine, Russet brown in the evening shade. I just didn't want grey/black/silver! I really like it, really pleased.

COMAND:
Really disappointed to hear it's slow and you don't like.
Is it true that this is just voice controlled - i.e. No touchscreen, mouse/pointer?

I use the thumb wheel button. The main problem seems to be the junction warnings seem to appear as you are on them, causing the odd U turn. And much swearing. The lack of road speed in the screen is annoying too. I can't seem to get the miles until next turn to display (if you can) like every sat-nav for the last 10 years has.

Parking Sensors:
I'm guessing you never went with the 360 camera. Didn't realize car had audible parking sensors as well.

Couldn't specify it, wanted it and useless dealer didn't try very hard either to get it. You get a row of lights you can't see in the headlining, and bleeps only once your 6" away from any obstruction, which is game over unless your doing 1MPH.

Comfort:
Liking your descriptions. Like you - I also want somewhere comfy for my elbow. My current car either has my elbow too low (can't reach steering wheel), or too high and can reach wheel but not that comfy. I'm surprised MB haven't given this more thought.

It might be the wheel is smaller than you expect? It could be an alertness safety thing though?

Fuel:
I'm likely to suffer worse MPG than you having short <4 mile stop start journeys twice a day. However, interested in why you're using super unleaded. I know this is going slightly off-topic, but have you noticed any difference to your MPG. I've often wondered whether it's worth the extra pounds at the pump.

Always go for the best grade, and now the Super has less rubber eating Ethanol in it than the '95 octane. Drifting thread again, my dad used build petrol stations for a living, and guess who buys the dregs (water/silt/mystery liquid) pumped out the tanks on a re-fit - clue you can do your weekly shopping there.... Hence the premium branded fuel. Supers extra cost always recoups on MPG I've found.

I guess there will be a few subtle differences as I also ordered air suspension all round. Also got the AMG Night Edition with Premium Plus as really wanted the upgraded sound system and panoramic roof.

I wanted the roof. I hate the keyless though, wife's Vitara has it, drives me crackers. Alright if you carry a bag at all times or wear baggy strides, but I found she would jump out with bag and keys, or I couldn't find anywhere to dump the fob - you only suffer a Yale key in the gonads the once trust me :D

Cheers.

Some snaps - this site crashes every time I try to attach, so just low-res. Took minutes apart, but looks a different colour in both!

50jig2.jpg

26060k9.jpg

COMAND:

I use the thumb wheel button. The main problem seems to be the junction warnings seem to appear as you are on them, causing the odd U turn. And much swearing. The lack of road speed in the screen is annoying too. I can't seem to get the miles until next turn to display (if you can) like every sat-nav for the last 10 years has.
Select "Navigation" in the instrument cluster and it shows both distance to next turn, and distance to destination. It also gives you all the direction graphics in the instrument cluster in that mode, so I tend to use that rather than look at the main screen.

I agree that COMAND isn't perfect, but I don't find it slow to respond or junction warnings coming up too late? One thing it is better at is dealing with poor or non-existent satellite signals amongst tall buildings as it uses dead reckoning.

Cheers Alf - really useful stuff here.
And fantastic to see some photos :)

Select "Navigation" in the instrument cluster and it shows both distance to next turn, and distance to destination. It also gives you all the direction graphics in the instrument cluster in that mode, so I tend to use that rather than look at the main screen.

Phil, cheers I will have a go! I have played with the menu, I will play again.

Like you - I find the speedo too difficult to use so have the speed displayed. The only way I have found to display the distance to turn is by having the sat nav displayed but then lose the speed ! Got around it by ordering a new C350e with Head Up ! Had a petrol demo and it had the HUD and it is brilliant - you can have the speed limit, your speed & sat nav displayed and it's not distracting at all. Getting mine first week of Sept - having never drove a C350e hybrid I am nervous how I am going to find it versus my CLS 350CDI it is allegedly quicker to 60.

Like you - I find the speedo too difficult to use so have the speed displayed. The only way I have found to display the distance to turn is by having the sat nav displayed but then lose the speed ! Got around it by ordering a new C350e with Head Up ! Had a petrol demo and it had the HUD and it is brilliant - you can have the speed limit, your speed & sat nav displayed and it's not distracting at all. Getting mine first week of Sept - having never drove a C350e hybrid I am nervous how I am going to find it versus my CLS 350CDI it is allegedly quicker to 60.

OK - so I'll order a C350e with HUD as a workaround.
Should be able to fit it in the boot of the W212 ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom