camber adjustment bolts misplaced...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pnevesfoto

Car
MB W203 C220 CDI Avantgard Station
a few days ago I replaced my control arms and after went to get a proper alignment... but now I feel my car pulling right... I believe I placed the camber adjustment bolts the wrong way and now camber is not properly set...

should I give any special recomendation to the alignment shop? I believe they should be able to recognize this type of bolts and know what to do with them... but the last guy didn't, so I'm not returnig to that alignment shop...

Do you have a printout of the settings before and after? How do you know the camber isn't set properly?

If the camber genuinely is set wrongly take it back, get them to do it again. If they can't they should advise you and/or remove the offending bolt and fit it correctly.

If they were fitted in the control arms then that's for castor adjustment. Camber adjustment would be at the lower wishbone/s.

Fact is these bolts are a bugger to fit but there is a visual clue on completion.... The head of the bolt has a line marked on it and this line should be at 6oclk for a positive camber correction/ adjustment and 12oclk for a negative correction/ adjustment. The position needs to be confirmed by..
1: The printout
2: The lines position visually with the wheels on the ground.

hello there to everyone...

today I finally went to see if I really had the camber adjustment bolt wrongly fitted and... IT WAS! :(

I asked to the guy in the shop to verify it and it was neither set for positive nor negative correction... it was at about 45º angle in between both possible positions...
no wonder the car was pulling right... duh!
we both disassembled it, symmetrically refitted it relative to the one on the other side, and then, back to the alignment bench...

SWEET...!

now the car drives straight when I release the steering wheel and there is no more pulling, either left or right...

learned the lesson... "if and when I get to replace my control arms again, I'll be more attentive to the camber adjustment bolts"

you can fall but if you learn how to raise yourself back up... it will be positive learning!

thanks mates...

I thought these bolts were one time fit only

beats me... :)

I took them off so I could insert and mount the new control arms, and inserted them again... I have no other bolts to place there, so I assumed that those were the ones...

tight and firm at about 180Nm... they are going nowhere... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom