Camera/Radar Detectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HotJambalaya

Car
C63
So I've decided to invest in one, since it seems I wont be able to put camera locations into Comand, and I don't want to use my old Tom Tom for it, since it would look a little odd. Since I'm starting from scratch I'm thinking that something that is combined (ie GPS & actual detection) is best?

Someone recommended Talex in another thread, but from what I can see its only GPS based?

The Snooper 3Zero seems to combine gps detection, radar and laser detection, but I'm having trouble locating reviews.

I read somewhere that some update themselves, without the need for plugging into a computer, but have no idea which one that was. Any thoughts etc?

I've got a Road Angel Vantage, had no issues with it at all - has saved me a few times to be fair, will be changing to a new Road Angel Gem when it becomes available with a windscreen mount as opposed to the dash mount.

I have a 'Road Angel Professional' very pleased with it. The unit updates itself. My CL has something in the windscreen that stops signals, I have to use an aerial. The previous model (RA Plus) needed to update via a PC, however, in my mind was a better unit, battery lasts longer, plus Laser detection as standard, also tells you what the speed limit is.

For fixed cameras a GPS-based warning is the way to go. Mobile cameras are nearly always Laser nowadays, which is a very narrow directional beam that doesn't scatter/splash like Radar ... so detection is fairly pointless IMHO. By the time a warning goes off they already have your speed.

Be careful if you drive abroad as actual detectors are illegal in some countries, and you can have your car seized for being in posession of one (even if it's switched off). In France even GPS warnings are banned now.

Snooper are very good. Build quality and aesthetics are both faultless. Their updating is also good as it allows owners to submit updates which they add to their database with 24 hours. Mobile camera zones get detected - uploaded and down loaded to you as "safety zones". So do schools and accident blackspots.

Snooper are doing a free iphone trial app. If found this not as good a the NavFree app which also has camera warnings.

I have a Road Angel Connected , which also has a laser detector function, but as said above, by the time laser is detected, its too late, they have got you!

Connected updates location as you go along as it has a built in SIM.

The Talex database is not updated as often as other's, but if your on a budget it's a good unit although the Novus Rider has free update's for life, again not quite so up to date as one would hope.

If you do Motorway miles, SPEC's average camera's move all the time so you prefer an up-to-date database, for this you require a Pogo Alert+ which uses the most up to date database.

Don't take my word for it speak to naonline.co.uk

I have a Road Angel Professional but it needs to connect to a pc for updates not sure if I will get an updated one. Would be good if you could have one that used the Aux input of the Comand unit rather than sitting on top of the dash.

It takes 3.7 secs to load the MBClub iPad App - enough time for me to get to 60 mph

I have a Road Angel Professional but it needs to connect to a pc for updates not sure if I will get an updated one. Would be good if you could have one that used the Aux input of the Comand unit rather than sitting on top of the dash.

It takes 3.7 secs to load the MBClub iPad App - enough time for me to get to 60 mph

I had this too and had it hard wired. Was decent.

I wont be able to put camera locations into Comand, and I don't want to use my old Tom Tom for it, since it would look a little odd.

I still reckon a TomTom with the pocketgps camera database is hard to beat. As well as the fixed camera sites, mobile sites are included and updated, much more accurate than TomToms and the rest's own database.

Russ

I have a 'Road Angel Professional' very pleased with it. The unit updates itself. My CL has something in the windscreen that stops signals, I have to use an aerial. The previous model (RA Plus) needed to update via a PC, however, in my mind was a better unit, battery lasts longer, plus Laser detection as standard, also tells you what the speed limit is.

Should have added...'connected' to Road angel Professional. The connected one updates on the move.

I still reckon a TomTom with the pocketgps camera database is hard to beat. As well as the fixed camera sites, mobile sites are included and updated, much more accurate than TomToms and the rest's own database.

Russ

Thanks, this led me to this:

Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras

seems that the camera locations might indeed be able to be used on Mercedes Comand systems!

Edit, and the subscription covers 3 devices, so even if it doesnt, I can use it on my tomtom and perhaps phone, once I actually collect my car (thursday) I'll try it out!

Last edited:
Thanks, this led me to this:

Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras

seems that the camera locations might indeed be able to be used on Mercedes Comand systems!

Edit, and the subscription covers 3 devices, so even if it doesnt, I can use it on my tomtom and perhaps phone, once I actually collect my car (thursday) I'll try it out!

Can anyone confirm this can be done?

Driving to the gym this morning noticed that vehicles approaching me were keeping to the 20mph speed limit, so I followed suit and lo and behold, a camera van positioned in a lay by came into view.

Moral of my tale is: keep to the speed limit however daft it may seem and some of them are really daft.

w124nut said:
Driving to the gym this morning noticed that vehicles approaching me were keeping to the 20mph speed limit, so I followed suit and lo and behold, a camera van positioned in a lay by came into view.

Moral of my tale is: keep to the speed limit however daft it may seem and some of them are really daft.

The morale of the story is. Never ever drive to the gym. It's like jogging to the chip shop.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

LOL I always use the stairs at work (am on the 3rd floor, 4th floor before that) and often see colleagues in sports kit taking the lift up 1 floor at lunchtime ?! :eek:

Pogo+ is very good, laser detectors are a waste of time IMHO, the only place they are any use is if you were "Among" other traffic and the detection system whatever its type picks up the scatter, if they get a hit on you your done before you can hit the brake.

pogo+ very good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom