Can anyone share there advice before I purchase w124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattwebb

Car
W201 2.0, w115 240D
hey guys I'm looking to purchase a W124 estate and have come across this one on eBay and I was just wondering if you guys noticed anything about it or if it's a good deal? I'm looking to run one as a daily driver so I want to buy the right one . Is there anything I should be looking out for on these cars? I don't mind spending a bit of money on getting the rusty parts sorted on the exterior I'm mainly looking for a solid engine and a tidy car :)

Let me know your thoughts !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262959150711

I'd also keep looking unless it was £500

Is there anything I should be looking out for on these cars?

Old now, six cylinder diesels are robust, but not indestructible - so worn pumps and injectors.

Transmissions wear out, $$$ as pretty rare now.

Diffs give up

Rust, rust and rust.

Steering boxes, hard to find non worn out used ones, rebuilds not all that cheap any more.

Rust.

Saggy seats

Parts aren't nearly as plentiful as they were, MB don't bother with a lot of it any more.

Leaky sunroofs

Tend to be overvalued by enthusiasts - FB groups and forums will tell you that all 124s are £10k cars, reality is that if you're handy with the spanners you can buy as many as you want for £200 a go.

Old now, six cylinder diesels are robust, but not indestructible - so worn pumps and injectors.

Transmissions wear out, $$$ as pretty rare now.

Diffs give up

Rust, rust and rust.

Steering boxes, hard to find non worn out used ones, rebuilds not all that cheap any more.

Rust.

Saggy seats

Parts aren't nearly as plentiful as they were, MB don't bother with a lot of it any more.

Leaky sunroofs

Tend to be overvalued by enthusiasts - FB groups and forums will tell you that all 124s are £10k cars, reality is that if you're handy with the spanners you can buy as many as you want for £200 a go.

Thanks for the feedback it's much appreciated I've also found this one what do you think?

Mercedes-Benz 230 2.3 TE 5dr

Failing all this can someone point me in the direction of a good old Mercedes estate ? I'm open to suggestions :)

. W124 can be very expensive to run daily .And some can be 28 years old or more by now .Most plastic parts you touch will just snap .Head gaskets fail ,wire harnes crack up through insulation degrading .Water pumps fail .You will have your hand in your pocket most of the time . Manual gearbox is best But put up all with this , and i am sure you will love it in the end .You only do the job once .Soon you will have it sorted out..

That 230te is worth a look I'd say. If that's what you're after. 230 is underrated as an engine. I prefer the 300 but that's because I've had 3 of them.

I'm always on the look out for a nice classic.

Good luck with your search.

. W124 can be very expensive to run daily .And some can be 28 years old or more by now .Most plastic parts you touch will just snap .Head gaskets fail ,wire harnes crack up through insulation degrading .Water pumps fail .You will have your hand in your pocket most of the time . Manual gearbox is best But put up all with this , and i am sure you will love it in the end .You only do the job once .Soon you will have it sorted out..

Would you recommend something else then ? I just love the look of them !

So your basically saying once the bits are fixed they last a long time ?

That 230te is worth a look I'd say. If that's what you're after. 230 is underrated as an engine. I prefer the 300 but that's because I've had 3 of them.

I'm always on the look out for a nice classic.

Good luck with your search.

I once had a w123 230e, is that the same engine ? It's was such a brilliant car and never let me down !

Thanks for the feedback it's much appreciated I've also found this one what do you think?

Mercedes-Benz 230 2.3 TE 5dr

Looks a better proposition.

Estates have a complex self levelling rear suspension in addition to their saloon/coupe counterparts so make sure that's working fine/ no leaks etc.
Rear subframe front mounts to the body and rear sill jacking points are classic rust failure points. The M102 engine in twin timing chain form lasts a long time but not for ever.

My 1994 300D 24V 7 Seater is up for sale. £1200 to you. That includes a wood and leather steering wheel. I'm in Chorley if you want to come for a look. MoT til Sept. More details on request.

trapperjohn said:
My 1994 300D 24V 7 Seater is up for sale. £1200 to you. That includes a wood and leather steering wheel. I'm in Chorley if you want to come for a look. MoT til Sept. More details on request.

A bargain at that John, I bought a 300ce24v off of John and was very very happy with it. I'd recommend this car all day long having also seen it.

Loved my 300d had nearly 600k on clock when I sold it, and was still going strong..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could admin please enable Mattwebb's PM facility then I can send him my number please.

Sound like this thread could have a mutually happy ending

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 2017 W222 S350d SWB AMG Line Premium Plus
* Ashford, Kent & Mons, Belgium
Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

Trying to upload some photos for you Matt but its not having it.

Car is currently SORN and in my garage I'm using a Picasso for a few gardening jobs I do. No way am I abusing my 124 as a hack. Battery is trickle charged 24/7. Car is started weekly and fires up bang on the money, there is a bit of air getting into the system but its fine once that is cleared.
MoT til Sept this year.
I have had the car just over four years and have had the following done by a Ian Walker (now sadly retired) at 124 Works in Kirkham.
It had a "Matalan" (ie cloth) interior when I bought it, it now has blue leather - except the drivers seat which is ortho and electric and is waiting to go in.
Cruise control works.
Tow bar and electrics work.
Roll top box fitted between the front seats, car was poverty spec when I bought it except for the cruise control.
Five glow plugs replaced, genuine Merc. No 1 Glow plug was not for coming out so we left it. Fires up now worries.
New engine mounts fitted.
New steering damper fitted.
New back box.
New rear subframe bushes fitted, both sets.
Whilst the subframe was off to fit these we undersealed the area under the subframe and welded the sub frame mounting points as they were a bit crumbly - not any more.
New discs pads and parking shoes to the rear, new discs and pads to the front. (This was at 194k miles)
New spheres, new sphere pipe.
New ARB bushes.
New leak off pipes - MPG Check after this was done on a long run 44MPG - never bettered that. You are looking at 30+ easy if just knocking around..
New water pump fitted (cos Im fussy)
New battery clamp.
At 196K Jan 2014. 6 new injectors fitted (cos Ian Walker is more fussy than me) O Rings and washers.
198K Nightbreakers fitted which are way better than the standard canle bulbs.
Oil was changed every 5k in my ownership. Oh a new sump plug has been fitted the old one had been rounded off.
It has had a new windscreen fitted, got pebble dashed by an HGV.
207K Mar 15. New started motor fitted.
214k New N/S half shaft fitted. First and last time she ever let me down.
New Aux belt and pulley fitted, cos I'm fussy. Merc genuine parts.
New various switches fitted.
Currently sitting on steel wheels but I have alloys if you want them. 15 inch or 16, take you pick if you want them but they will be extra if you want them.
I love the old girl but just dont use her any more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom