Can I buy a spade terminal for the jump start connector on my 200k?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidmatthewson

Car
Hi

I own an 18 year old 200k which I don't use much and like to keep on trickle charge in a barn in the Winter. Rather than remove the A/C filter and battery cover I normally apply the charger crock clips to a decent ground and the positive to the 'jump start' terminal inside the red flip top box near the battery.

This is fine but sometimes the crock clip jumps or slips off and I'd like to make up a special lead to mate with the curved spade connector inside the jump start box.

The problem is that the male spade is not, as far as I know, a standard electronic parts and I wonder if anyone knows what it is called and where I might buy one?

TiA

David

David

I have some Croc Clips that I have fitted onto the charger leads on my maintenance chargers for exactly the issue the describe.

PM me your address and I will pop one in the post to you. If it's no good? We tried.

I would also be interested to know if anybody has a better solution.

Many 'maintenance chargers' come with a short flylead that you can leave permanently attached to the battery (normally using ring connectors that the clamp bolts on the battery terminals go through). Then just a 2-pin plug/socket to connect the flylead to the charger lead.

That's the setup I use on my R129.

That's very kind - I'll pm you. Many thanks.

Have a look at the optimate product range.

I use these on my motorcycles and have seen them used by our customers.

As a safer alternative to the jump start connector is there a permanent live connection somewhere which would be protected by a fuse.

could you drill a hole through the large connector offset to one side and bolt one of these to it

PM me if want a couple posted

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Now that's an interesting idea.. thanks. The trickle charge current is about 0.5 amp so there is no issue there..

When connecting to "high current" positions, please fuse the cable you are adding as close to the high current position as possible, with a fuse appropriate to protect the cable (otherwise the whole cable acts as the fuse if something goes wrong).

Especially if you're leaving this all in a nice wooden barn :)

I'd run a cable out from the battery with a fuse up by the battery to some sort of connector where you can plug in your charger. As others say, some of the trickle charges come with such a cable you can affix to a battery - but many people forget that a fuse should be added ..

Richard

Richard

richard said:
When connecting to "high current" positions, please fuse the cable you are adding as close to the high current position as possible, with a fuse appropriate to protect the cable (otherwise the whole cable acts as the fuse if something goes wrong). Especially if you're leaving this all in a nice wooden barn :) I'd run a cable out from the battery with a fuse up by the battery to some sort of connector where you can plug in your charger. As others say, some of the trickle charges come with such a cable you can affix to a battery - but many people forget that a fuse should be added .. Richard Richard

Richard

Are you saying to add an inline fuse to the live cable close to the battery? What sized fuse would you suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Richard

Are you saying to add an inline fuse to the live cable close to the battery? What sized fuse would you suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Absolutely. The fuse is there to protect the cables (and of course whatever is on it normally) and stop them burning, and as the trickle charge is only 0.5A it only needs to be small. I'd go with 5A as the charger will have cable that can deal with 5A

Richard

Ok, thanks for all the help.. I have now done this:

[jump start connector has the red plastic cap removed for the photo - also splash proof in-line fuse currently not fitted or sealed.]

So drilled a 3mm hole through the plastic and the copper zinc coated spade, bolted a connector on, with a 3 splash proof in line fuse, and then terminated it in a 2.5mm female power connector.

All this is on the 'dry' side of the bulkhead seals, so I can now just plug in the trickle charger and keep the bonet fully shut.

Magic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom