Can i drive a car under yellow trade slip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C180CGI

Car
C180 1.8 CGI 2012 ELEGANCE
Got a quick question, can I drive a car under yellow slip temporary for around 10 days if the slip is not registered under my name, a mates name who if I get pulled over can confirm its him etc.

I'd worry less about who it's registered to and more who's insured to drive it.

Surely if the slip (whatever that is) is in your mates name, you personally are not insured?

Got a feeling you are going to get flak for this question:D

Do you mean under a mates name which includes yourself to drive it? Or do you mean it covers only your mate and if pulled, you'd tell them you are your mate?

Got a quick question, can I drive a car under yellow slip temporary for around 10 days if the slip is not registered under my name, a mates name who if I get pulled over can confirm its him etc.

thats only whos the registered keeper... not the owner.

Key this is you have insurance to drive it, or at least the car has insurance on it which you policy "may" enable you to drive it TPFT.

Do whatever you want - there are no police left in the UK.. :D

p.s. car must have an insurance policy on it and then you have to be named driver or have ability to drive other cars on your own policy.

Total rubbish.

Wrong. Absolutely correct in fact, even if your own insurance covers you to drive another car (the normal wording is "not belonging to the insured, or hired to the insurer under a hire purchase agreement"), then the cover will normally be third party only, and requires a valid insurance policy to be in place on the vehicle in question.

The old assumption that, if you had fully comprehensive cover on your own car, you were automatically covered on other cars isn't the case any longer. Indeed, some insurance policies don't offer cover for other vehicles at all - check your policy details carefully.

The safest way is to get the vehicle's principle insurer (whether that's the owner or not) to get you put on as a named driver. I did this with the SLK when I went over to Le Mans with my mate as a passenger, he had fully comp. cover including driving in Europe for 4 days and all it cost was the £25 admin charge. No brainer.

Cheers,

Gaz

Last edited:
Wrong. Absolutely correct in fact, even if your own insurance covers you to drive another car (the normal wording is "not belonging to the insured, or hired to the insurer under a hire purchase agreement"), then the cover will normally be third party only, and requires a valid insurance policy to be in place on the vehicle in question.

The old assumption that, if you had fully comprehensive cover on your own car, you were automatically covered on other cars isn't the case any longer. Indeed, some insurance policies don't offer cover for other vehicles at all - check your policy details carefully.

The safest way is to get the vehicle's principle insurer (whether that's the owner or not) to get you put on as a named driver. I did this with the SLK when I went over to Le Mans with my mate as a passenger, he had fully comp. cover including driving in Europe for 4 days and all it cost was the £25 admin charge. No brainer.

Cheers,

Gaz

No : check the terms of your insurance policy .

Many do indeed require the vehicle to be insured under another policy , but by no means all do . In particular , 'traders policies' will often provide cover to drive otherwise uninsured vehicles , but many others do too .

The important thing is to check before you make a mistake .

Thanks guys! Yes I am going to be insuring it under my name.

No : check the terms of your insurance policy

Indeed this ^^

There is certainly no blanket requirement for a vehicle to have it's own policy, otherwise you would never be able to hire a car or use a loan car while yours is being serviced.

tec said:
Indeed this ^^ There is certainly no blanket requirement for a vehicle to have it's own policy, otherwise you would never be able to hire a car or use a loan car while yours is being serviced.

This is right, my insurance covers me on any vehicle with the owners or (something else) permission, however the car must be insured itself also. Nearly catches people out

Hire cars and loan cars will be insured by the company loaning them out... :rolleyes:

A car must be insured by someone before you can be a named driver - for regular non-trader policies anyway.

They stated this on an episode of Traffic Cops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom