Can you have ordinary cruise when you have distronic plus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ray1888

Car
CLA 45 AMG
Have a cla 45 and can't seem to be able to get ordinary cruise control without
The distronic engaging? Getting used to it now but ordinary cruise I can't seem to engage ?
Cheers

Couldn't do it on the w219

Lexus lets you choose :p

You certainly can't select "normal" cruise on a W212 equipped with Distronic.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to?

do your brake lights go on when distronic slows you?
Don't think mine do?
That's the reason really?

It depends upon how rapidly it's slowing. If it's like a gentle closed throttle coast down, then the brake lights don't operate; if there's braking of any significance then the brake lights operate. If that weren't the case it would be very difficult for anyone following.

I'm guessing and I'm def not a mechanic, but surely the brake lights operate off a pressure sensor in the braking system, so if the brakes are applied by anything the lights come on?
Also, on mine, I'm sure there's a setting in the menu on the dash to disable distronic?

I have not been able to do it on my cls55. But once you get used to it you won't want to. Most of the time its much better than ordinary cruise, just a few exceptional circumstances where I have to intervene.

Distronic is an awesome feature and after using it, I now hate normal cruise control.

Major774 said:
Distronic is an awesome feature and after using it, I now hate normal cruise control.
Agreed. After using Distronic in my E63's for the last three years, the basic cruise on my wife's SLK55 seems like stepping back to the Stone Age.

Loving the distronic in traffic, and with it getting darker it is another good safety feature preventing altercations with cars in front.

I loved Distronic on my previous 2 E63's unfortunately not got it on my current one.

There were a couple of times it didn't react but just showed a red triangle when the traffic infront slowed too quick so you definitely need to be on the ball with it.

Despite it being painfully slow to react (or stop reacting) to cars that are no longer in front of you, particularly as you leave a dual carriageway on a slip road, I like distronic+. My Wife however hates the distronic bit it so it would be good to revert to normal cruise control.

Today, driving in appalling weather, I got the message "radar sensors dirty distronic + disabled" I really think it could have left the cruise control working but NO the whole cruise system was gone, luckily after a mile or so the rain had "cleaned" the radar and it all started up again.

Last edited:
A while ago the tyre pressure monitoring system seemed to think that there was a problem with one tyre - there wasn't but it disabled Distronic!

Brake lights come on for moderate and hard braking.

And I cannot envisage going back to normal cruise control having had the Distronic on mine, its simply awesome, especially in traffic jams and slow moving traffic.

What also worth considering is that the radar sees through fog, so in weather like last week the system maintains stopping distance despite the reduced visibility.

And I cannot envisage going back to normal cruise control having had the Distronic on mine, its simply awesome, especially in traffic jams and slow moving traffic.

I said that to myself too but I'm coping fine without it soo far.

I do love Distronic+ on my CL, but there are a few sections on UK roads where you cant use the Radar so it deactivates the entire system! Highly frustrating especially as they are all in avg. speed sections of road. It would be nice to have "normal" cruise as a fall back

Can you explain please?

There is a section of the M11 for example between Duxford and New Market when the cars Radar gets deactivated.

Here is an extract from the handbook:

Vehicles with COMAND and navigation system*: the radar sensor system is deactivated automatically near radio telescope facilities. If Distronic Plus*, Park Assist*, Park Guidance*, Blind Spot Assist* or PRE-SAFE® Brake* are activated at this point, a corresponding warning will appear in the multi-function display to tell you that the radar sensor system is being switched off. BAS PLUS* is also no longer available. If the deactivation does not occur automatically, you must deactivate the radar sensor system using the on-board computer

United Kingdom
Cambridge
52°09'59" N, 00°02'20" E
9 km
Darnhall
53°09'22" N, 02°32'03" W
5 km
Jodrell Bank
53°14'10" N, 02°18'26" W
9 km
Knockin
52°47'24" N, 02°59'45" W