Car broken into yesterday. (I had to laugh.)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kdh

Car
E Class 320cdi Estate
On returning to my Mercedes E Class Estate parked in a busy Brighton Multistorey yesterday after a family Christmas outing, I was horrified to find one of the rear windows totally gone.

Looking inside, twinkling in acres of my pale grey leather back seat was a mountain of smashed glass.

We had just walked miles through the icy wind and rain to get to the car and the thought of a 30- mile trip home without a side window didn't fill us with pleasure.

I opened the driver's door to see what had been stolen and strangely enough, not a lot. Actually, nothing; Tom Tom was still there, my little box of £1 coins was still there, my Persol sunglasses were still there.

"Porridge, Dad.", my son said.

"You what?" I said.

"Porridge, mixed with glitter. It's porridge mixed with glitter to make it look like smashed glass. It's not glass at all! ".

Upon further inspection, all over the back seat was indeed, dried porridge oats mixed with glitter. (In an underground car park you couldn't tell the difference between that and smashed glass.)

The plot thickened.

I put the key into the ignition and pressed the rear window switch. The window whirred up back into place, in perfect condition.

We all looked at each other.

Then all around us to see if we were being filmed.

No-one around. Not a sausage.

We all laughed out loud and gave the thumbs up to anyone who might have ben video-ing us or watching from afar.

I left the car locked and alarmed, with all the windows shut.

It's a Merc. It's easier to break into Fort Knox. (or so I thought).

Brilliant prank.

What a relief, though.

I had to laugh.

Any idea how it was done?

Some shops sell that as reindeer food this time of year.

Perhaps you left your window open and the local crime prevention officer left a calling card?

A family outing , Were all the family together all of the time ?
Because one of them has played a Christmas trick on you, using the spare key. Who went missing for half an hour, theirs your culprit :D

Blimey what a trick to play on someone. I had to smile.

Sure is.

I dropped the family at the theatre as it was horrible weather, and went off on my own to find a car park.

When I parked, I locked up and noticed that the lights had stayed on. (it's a new car to me)

I waited by the car for about 20 seconds for the lights to go off, then left.

I've heard that there are thieves who can read your remote, but only when you are locking the car.

The car park was busy with Christmas shoppers and it would have been mad for someone to try and force a window or a lock with all the people around.

This is so weird.

Maybe I was expected to go in a rage straight to the car park office when I discovered the (un) broken window, to find Dynamo and a film crew waiting for me.

Nothing.

Not a sound.

There was also no way that any passenger window would have been open in that weather, let alone left down all the way. I always check all the windows are shut before I lock the car, my old BMW used to sound the alarm if any windows were open and you tried to lock it, so I try and avoid that.

Last edited:
I think I quite possibly hate glitter more than smashed glass. I really really hate glitter. I would've been fuming. If ever I get a card that has glitter on it, it stays in the envelope. I can't imagine how long you're going to be finding glitter. Makes me shudder just thinking about it. Glad your car and belongings are all in one piece. :)

Interesting you mention that because I've just come in from an HOUR'S hoovering! You can't pick it up! It's a nightmare.

kdh said:
Interesting you mention that because I've just come in from an HOUR'S hoovering! You can't pick it up! It's a nightmare.

I once picked my brother in law and his girlfriend up for a party. She was smothered in body glitter. I very nearly didn't let her in the car, then spent the following day vacuuming it and the next year finding random bits of glitter.

I would never get tired of punching the guy who invented it in the face.

Hover the porridge first.... then grab a dog fur roller (lint roller type thing) and run over the area.

Voila ;)

Looking out of the window, it looks like rain dear.

I think I quite possibly hate glitter more than smashed glass. I really really hate glitter. I would've been fuming. If ever I get a card that has glitter on it, it stays in the envelope. I can't imagine how long you're going to be finding glitter. Makes me shudder just thinking about it.

First I've heard of a glitter OCD - you need to seek help for that :D

Looking out of the window, it looks like rain dear.

Dear dear me.....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom