Car Buying Troubles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

comports

Car
CLK 350 Cabriolet
Hi,

Not an MB but advice needed. Partly my fault but I recently bought a car (just a cheap run around) for my mother-in-law from a local car lot.

A citroen Saxo. £1000.00 with 3 months warranty and a new MOT. I asked the usual questions about accidents and HPI and was told "oh yes - I HPI everything and it's all fine. I have the HPI sheet here somewhere and its all fine...." I never saw it though.

When I got the car home I found the brake lights didn't work, the SRS light was flashing and the steering was iffy. I also noticed he took the car 70 miles for an MOT..! I took the car back to enquire and he said he would get it sorted but could not book it in for a week or so. I kept going back to him and calling him but he was never there.

The Mother in law took the car and drove it back to Cheshire but wanted to get the things fixed so took it to her local chap who told her it was a death trap. They did an HPI for her to find it's a Cat D and not been repaired properly.

What can I do about it. It's been 2 months and I still can't find the guy....

Is it a lesson learn't and £1000 down the drain. My mother-in-law is part ex'ing it next week for another car but I'm not happy to throw money away and let this chap get away with it. Is there anything I can do even though he is nowhere to be found..? Even though it's 2 months after the MOT date should I contact the MOT station..?

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Last edited:
Are you sure the MOT is real or fake. i am sorry if a sound a bit unsympathetic, but how could you. If you buy from a main dealer you are still advised to check everything works cos as soon as you drive out, you are liable. never mind a local lot.
Imagine if a revenue seeking cop had spotted your lights.
If the car costs £100 i would say OK . but 1G.
Personally i would be calling trading standards and considering pursuing him through a small claims court under the sale of goods act.

I know, I know... I did say in my post it was partly my fault. I should have checked. To be honest it was one of those "for the Mother in law" things.. (If you get my drift).

Was thinking about the small claims but if the guy has stopped trading now as it seems, is there much I can do..? I'd rather not waste more money chasing something that won't happen...!

Is the lot not still there ? and can you remember the name?
if you have a receipt you can chase him if he has business insurance or something like that, i am not too sure. have you tried the CAB?

I would put it down to experience, a costly-ish one.

For the aggro you will go through to get anywhere on this it won't be worth it for the original £1k paid, IMO.

Report to Trading Standards, have the MoT checked out, that's about it I think.

I feel for for you though

Rob

I would put it down to experience, a costly-ish one.
If the car was purchased with three months warranty then it must surely be a trader?

How hard have you tried to contact this geezer? I personally would want recompense. You might well be wasting your money trying to go through the courts, but polite letters to Trading Standards, HM Customs and Excise (VAT) would be just the beginning of my quest.

Regards
John

Thanks Glojo,

I have rung him, both landline and mobile and both dead tone now. I have camped down at his site and asked around at other dealers to locate him.

One local trader said he owed them some money as well but said they have not heard from him for ages. This maybe dealers "code" of sticking together however as they are in the same game I suspect.

There is only one car left on his lot but no one has been around for weeks now. I just phoned Trading Standards who will look into it but I don't hold out much hope.

I also gave them the details of the MOT station as I think they were in together on things. This car clearly would not have passed an MOT..!

I took it to an auto elec for the brake lights and the pedal switch was completely snapped.

I guess it's just a lesson learn't and £1000 up the river. It really makes me cross and I know I should have known better but glad I reported him. It could have been a 17 year old that bought the car and now maybe in hospital (or worse) because it was not road worthy.

Thanks all.

You will probably be able to trace this guy but only if you are prepared to spend time and money. Then having found him you have to try to get your money back . The phrase " blood out of a stone " comes to mind! If this " car lot" traded for a while it must have been registered with the local council and there must be a name associated with it as owner or operator of the business? .

At the very least, I'd report this to trading standards.

Its doubtful that you'll get your money back but it may help to catch this guy and prevent him doing it to others.

If as you say the car is a deathtrap, trading standards and the DVLA *should* take the matter seriously - especially if he's *obtaining* postal MOT's.

I guess it's just a lesson learn't and £1000 up the river. It really makes me cross and I know I should have known better but glad I reported him. It could have been a 17 year old that bought the car and now maybe in hospital (or worse) because it was not road worthy.

Thanks all.
I think you are doing the right thing. Under no circumstances do you want this incident to rule your life. A very expensive lesson which there but for the grace of what's is name go the rest of us.

Regards
John

HI

my 5 penith

Again trading standards who if they don't get him this time, will be able to make a case and make life hard for him next time he opens up shop

CAB can advise if a case could be built for selling goods under deception and if so plod 'might' be interested - I mean, does have title to all the cars he sells - he may be 'known' to them??

Local council may be able to tell you who owns the plot (and if he leased it find him that way)

I don't suppose you paid by credit card did you?
If so you can claim
If by cheque your bank can trace the account etc

Its a bit thin and a good lesson, but also bear in mind that if you do get to this bloke - he might not take well to being caught and sometimes, the response you get can be dangerous - I think you know what I mean - so bear that in mind, some of these people ain't nice

Sorry to hear of this case though

Fabes

Some used car warranties are with third parties. Did you get a seperate warranty booklet with the car?

You will never in a million yrs get your money back but i would at leat go to VOSA for the MOT issue - i would hurry too as they dont tend to entertain any issue over 3 months old. The mot garage needs a lesson for sure..

i would hurry too as they dont tend to entertain any issue over 3 months old. The mot garage needs a lesson for sure..
It's frightening to think that any MOT station would do this but no doubt it happens.

Is there any chance the certificate was stolen, or it's a home made jobbie (counterfeit)?

John the curious

I have had a honda in p/ex recently that had

- Worn U/J's
- Two bald tyres
- Two ball joints with excessive play
- two wheel bearings gone
- Excessive rust in various places.

MOT was from birmingham and a month old...

I was considering going to VOSA, but my dad has an MOT station and we have been on the receiving end of claims in the past and usually the garage gets penalised, not the actual tester responsible (even though the manager/owner will have had no knowledge) so i decided to take it up with the garage personally... lets just say they wont be making that mistake again..

It's frightening to think that any MOT station would do this but no doubt it happens.

Is there any chance the certificate was stolen, or it's a home made jobbie (counterfeit)?

John the curious

there are always garages that are slightly less diligent when it comes to testing, particularly for traders who put a lot of work their way. I know of several who in the past have provided MoT's over the phone if the trader assures them all is well - surprisingly, not all motor traders are honest :)

slightly harder to do the counterfeit ones these days as everything is on line

Andy

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Here are a couple of sites that I have found useful:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/

http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file25486.pdf - law on supply of goods and services.

http://www.howtocomplain.com/

You can check MOT cert's online here, I think:

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/motgaragesandtesters/motgaragesandtesters.htm

Unfortunately, if he has liquidated his company it will be difficult to get any money back. He will just start up again under a different name however. You should report the garage that did the MOT though. How did you pay? If by credit card you could get on to the credit card company as partially liable.

Thanks everyone for your input on this. I have tried again today to contact the guy and it appears he has "shut up shop" and gone underground.

I guess I won't get any money back.. I have however reported him and all his details to trading standards along with the MOT station that supplied the certificate.

Hopefully they will take up the investigation and perhaps avoide this happening to anyone else in the future.

If I hear anything back I will post an update.

A BIG lesson learnt.. Avoid dodgy car dealers..!!

Thanks again folks.

there are always garages that are slightly less diligent when it comes to testing, particularly for traders who put a lot of work their way.
:) :) Several years ago the Fleet Manager of the Devon and Cornwall Constabulary was sacked\prosecuted for doing exactly that. He would phone a 'friendly' test station and give them a batch of registration details of vehicles needing MOT's prior to going through the local auctions. He came unstuck when one was purchased with a rusted out floor!

One way of wrecking a lifetime career.

John

Sorry to hear about this...buying a dodgy motor happens to us all...I ve been stitched up in the past and I am sure probably 90 % of the people on this site have over the years. I trust very few people however over the years I have tried to go with my gut instinct...mainly because I have met so many dodgy fellas over the years I can smell them within 10 foot....but we can still get it wrong.......... people who you think you can trust to be genuine ( without even meeting them) can be frauds....check a recent thread on this site that was closed re Rolex watches being swapped for a car and make your own mind up over humanity.....Best of luck with your next purchase. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom