car park bump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fyonn

Car
BMW 330d
Hiya all,

parked up in a supermarket carpark yesterday to go and get some money, got back in the car and started to program an address in the satnav and the car across the "corridor" slowly reverses out of his space and straight into my car!

First thing I did was hit the horn, but with the engine being off it didn't make a sound, I got out, but they drove off.

now they didn't hit particularly hard, and there is no0 damage done. the bumper merely flexed a bit and then flexed back. but the bump was hard enough to be noticeable to both myself and my fiancee, and the fact that no damage was done was not known to the driver of the other car when they drove off. I might add that from looking at the other car, it looks like driving into things was somewhat of a hobby.

I now feel like I ought to do something, but I don't know what. I don't want to claim any money from them as no damage was caused but I feel I'd love to get them to at least recognise that they had a responsibility to stop and find out first. I've got their numberplate.

is there anything I can do to get a "message" to them, or should I just chalk it down to rudeness and forget it? :)

dave

No damage - chalk it down and move on - the police will not bother anyway I would suspect!

David

Leave it as no damage was done is my advice.

Believe it or not, there are people out there who would come round to yours and do serious damage if you pursued the line which you describe.

There are some nasty people out there. Read any of todays newspapers to see.

Just put it down to experience.

Best left alone..................

I might add that from looking at the other car, it looks like driving into things was somewhat of a hobby. :)

dave

I know the type, I had a neighbour like that, just glad I moved house before I bought the Mercedes. At least you will be unlikely to ever have to park near him again, I had to park next to this guy for 6 years!

Russ

You could report it to the police as a failing to stop after a collision on the grounds that you suspect they may be driving unlicenced,uninsured, with an unroadworthy vehicle without road tax or MOT any of which is entirely possible since they didn't stop. You can check some details here http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/index.jsp under vehicle enquiry and if you wish you can ask vehicle licencing for further details in writing explaining you were involved in a collision with the vehicle and they failed to stop. Its your call.

Last edited:
Probably best to be thankful that no damage done, have a relaxing glass of wine and imagine you have one of these for the next time :devil: :

smaw3wt4.jpg

Mike

Is there anything I can do to get a "message" to them, or should I just chalk it down to rudeness and forget it? :)

dave
Hi Dave,
I would also be very annoyed but realistically what could you do?

Complain to the police!

What would you say and what proof have you got!

We are all allegedly innocent until proved to be guilty. You have no damage, no witness and it would merely be your word against the other driver.

Just like everyone else I would suggest be thankful this loon did not damge your car.

Be thankful that you never got out and had an altercation because the other geezer might have been Mr Nasty and may have even reacted in a violent manner.

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom