Car remained unlocked all night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dad4geer

Car
W204 C180 AMG Sport
Last evening I parked my car in front of my house and got distracted by something coming out of the car and went straight into my house. This morning I unlocked the car but the sound of those locks "clicks" was not very audible so I thought it could be just me. Opened the front driver door and the mirrors which normally pops out stayed in their position and that's because they were already out. Only then I realized that the car remained open all night :crazy: ... which made me thinking if there is any setting which locks the car after a while if you are coming out of the car. I know if you unlock it first time and then don't open doors it locks the car after a while but what about coming out of the car and then forgetting about locking it? :(

Did it happen like this with any of you before?

Normal thing to happen, I always double check if I'm not sure, with another press of the button.

Not sure if there is anything to prompt auto close other than what you've mentioned.

Wish we didn't have to worry about this...

I have a habit of looking at the door pin go down (and sometimes I tug the door handle) before I walk away.:crazy:

You can probably get the car coded via Star to beep on lock/unlock which may help.

nothing you can do to automatically lock it, the mirror position is the best visual check which I now do every night as part of the lock up routine....

I've done worse, been woken at 2am by the alarm going off because I've locked it but left a window open...

I also have a habbit of looking at the mirrors but that I forgot yesterday and this is why I was thinking if there is anything else the car can do to lock itself in such scenarios but reading above it seems this is not possible..

Mine beeps too when locked and unlocked, it can be turned on or off in settings. But I don't know how to do it. Sorry. :confused:

Is this one of those wind up threads?

I hadn't, but thanks for alerting me to his oeuvre.

Thanks everyone for your kind response and I love this forum where everyone is ready to help and share their views with newbies like me (except few grumpy ones offcourse and to be honest I don't care about them :cool:).

Thanks everyone for your kind response and I love this forum where everyone is ready to help and share their views with newbies like me (except few grumpy ones offcourse and to be honest I don't care about them :cool:).

Think about it.

Do you really want a car that self locks after a period of time?
Can you envisage times when this could be dangerous?

If your answers are yes, no...then you will be filed under "wind up" threads.

If your answers are yes, yes...then you know you don't want it.

If your answers are no, yes...then why are you posting?

If your answers are no, no...see above.

That's a terrible terrible idea :)

No it's not. There must be some timer in the car of x minutes (or hours - debatable) which gets activated when you shut all doors, no key in ignition and it detects no movement inside the car. After x minutes have elapsed it should lock the car as it is safe to say that the driver has moved away from it, there is no one inside it and he/she forgot to lock it! I am sure if this is not happening today, there will be something like this in future or at least an option will be given to activate it (if someone wants).

Last edited:
Ok, someone is going to have to put me out of my misery. I can't see how a car that locks itself after a set time of being left unlocked is a bad thing, assuming it does it smartly.

1) Only happens on keyless entry cars, thus not possible to lock the key in the car

2) Won't do it if the seat detectors detect there is someone sitting in the car.

3) Won't do if it it detects movement inside the car.

4) Leave it long enough (couple of hrs or whatever)

5) Don't dead-lock, so someone inside can still get out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom