Cat amongst pigeons time...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No. not at all, are you telling me in the UK you are allowed to deliberately obstruct a turning vehicle in this situation because you just feel like it?

Just how close to the car in front of you do you think you are allowed to be when moving...?

A car indicating to change lanes in slow-moving, queuing traffic is not a 'turning vehicle' in my book.

In reality, if you position by a gap and indicate, it's likely you will be allowed in; the sort of pig-head who would close up the gap doesn't usually leave one in the first place.

Provided you do not actually collide, you can be pretty much as close to the vehicle in front as you like without breaking any laws.

I was referring to one lane free except for bombers, please take the time to read the posts carefully and not bait.

Point one; you didn't actually say that. (Edit: On re-reading, and knowing what you meant, you did actually say that, after all).

Point two; are you stating that in NZ, emergency services vehicles would deliberately obstruct what you call 'bombers' with an empty lane in front of them? That's how it reads, I'm afraid. Would they not use their blues and twos and go to the end of the empty lane?

Point three; if not that, what exactly are you saying?

Last edited:
Yes but it gets the traffic through the restriction quicker forward of where you sit because there is less of it to get through the restriction. I wouldn't mind a bet that Ambulance Drivers are taught to do this in this situation to save those precious moments....

Ambulance drivers are NOT taught to do this. Certainly not when I attended a 5-day ambulance driving course. Ambulance drivers (as well as, I suspect, other emergency vehicle drivers) are taught to make good progress through observation, awareness and positioning whilst remaining within the law. In this situation they would definitely use the clearer lane, and definitely not impede the progress of other traffic.

Point two; are you stating that in NZ, emergency services vehicles would deliberately obstruct what you call 'bombers' with an empty lane in front of them? That's how it reads, I'm afraid. Would they not use their blues and twos and go to the end of the empty lane?

As a slight aside, an ambulance will generally only use their blues and twos when on the way to an incident. With a patient on board they will avoid disturbing lights and sounds as much as possible in order to limit stress (they'll also drive a bit slower for the same reason and to limit further injury).

As a slight aside, an ambulance will generally only use their blues and twos when on the way to an incident. With a patient on board they will avoid disturbing lights and sounds as much as possible in order to limit stress (they'll also drive a bit slower for the same reason and to limit further injury).

Having done emergency response driving courses , I would add that , on motorways where there is a hard shoulder , emergency responders will normally make careful progress down the hard shoulder where traffic is queued in the 'live lanes' . If traffic is free flowing then best use of the available lanes is made , having regard to and exercising utmost caution towards the presence and possible actions of other drivers .

Exemptions are permitted from some traffic laws - e.g. speed limits , traffic lights and , in the case of fire appliances which are HGV's and not normally allowed in rightmost of three or more lanes , they are under blue light conditions .

Other drivers should be aware that many ( although not all ) fire appliances now have cctv cameras on all four corners , recording onto a hard disk , and the recording will show the date , time , vehicle speed and status of lights , brakes , horn , sirens , and signals - in the event of anything happening , the evidence is all there and cannot be argued with .

I'm in favour of zipping. When I see signs for lane closures ahead I stay in lane until shortly before reaching the restriction, then indicate and wait for an opportunity to zip; with varied success. Very occasionally, if I happen to be in the inside lane and see the traffic in front of me already queuing several hundred yards or more before the lane closure, I may move out to the next lane if it's particularly clear, then follow the above procedure. If people get upset, that's their problem.

Interestingly, zipping actually works well in one part of the UK where the Brits have no problem with it, albeit not quite the same situation. Two junctions in St Helier, Jersey have 'Filter in Turn' signage instructing motorists to zip where two roads merge into one. It works perfectly, especially at busy times. Even holidaymakers seem to cope with it!

So there is hope, with education.

I waited for ages at that junction in St Helier for another car to come along.........

Point one; you didn't actually say that. (Edit: On re-reading, and knowing what you meant, you did actually say that, after all).

Point three; if not that, what exactly are you saying?

Keep spinning cobber one you'll stop and see the world for what it is and not what your spin makes it.

Changing lanes is turning and there are such things as legal following distances. You may wish to go check.

You may also wish to stop deliberate;y misrepresenting what people write that's illegal too. Just go ask the press if you don't fancy talking to a Lawyer.

I pass a two lane single carriageway on my way into work and it always amuses me when I see militant lane 1 drivers exhibiting various extents of obscuring lane 2.

Ranging from wheels just over the separating white lines right the way up to completely in lane 2.

There are double-white lines separating lane 2 and the opposite single lane single carriageway which means either vehicles using lane 2 either sit behind the blocking vehicle or breaking the double-white lines.

Very strange.

Are these cars only..if its a lorry or bus I can understand this.. we have to use this at times, of course there times when its unnecessary but others where the bend or width of the lane restriction is to narrow.. road maintenance crews don't understand this .. years ago when I drove buses and they were setting up the restriction, if you were skilled enough you could trap the bollard between the rim of the wheel and tarmac causing the cone to tilt into the wheel then *pop* back out launching the cone back into the side of the road leaving the road worker frustrated having to start again..

REMEMBER: 40ft of rigid platform doesn't bend so it needs to use two lanes to manoevre - at times.

Keep spinning cobber one you'll stop and see the world for what it is and not what your spin makes it.

Changing lanes is turning and there are such things as legal following distances. You may wish to go check.

You may also wish to stop deliberate;y misrepresenting what people write that's illegal too. Just go ask the press if you don't fancy talking to a Lawyer.

Stop defining things in NZ Law to people talking in UK law.

There is nothing in UK road law saying that you have to leave a set distance in front of you. There is plenty of advice both in the Highway Code and in media that you SHOULD leave a 2 second gap, but there is nothing in law stating that you MUST.

Just because you keep repeating something which isn't true, doesn't make it true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom