Caterham trackday terror. Winter Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did you book a garage? Will split the cost with you.

Raceco silencers almost done, should have noise results tomorrow.

That doesn't actually look too bad, hope they get dB levels down within limits!

It's not that bad, was expecting worse. They're still substantially longer than the BTB jobbies, around 400mm.

I'm really eager to get the noise results.... around £1,500 riding on it.

You put a couple of space shuttles on the side. Not bad and they should work.

I did book a garage and would be great to share. Did you get my PM? I sent my number and email.

I should have the SL and the R8 there. Just hope the weather is kind.

I wand if you turned the exhaust tips facing down if that would help?

I wand if you turned the exhaust tips facing down if that would help?

The BTBs were facing down, so we moved them up and the static noise test results were lower, the idea being that the sound waves bouncing off the tarmac as well as waves from the exhaust were giving the meter a double hit.

The end caps can be swivelled around anyway, so can be changed to suit.

Good and bad news from a Snetterton test day. I asked Steve to take it somewhere and sort it as the next time I sit my ass in it it has to be an all day affair with many sessions without black flags or spurious cut outs. Next time I'm flagged or stranded it's going to get sold.

Good news:-

Noise test, 101db at 7,000 rpm, and 97 with the Decible Devils inserted! :bannana:
Brakes better and no longer squealing.
No supercharger oil tank leak.
On the dampish sighting laps he was able to slide it around without losing control, so nicely balanced.

Bad news:-

It rained all day so as it only has 1 set of wheels at the moment with slicks, he didn't go out all day. :mad::mad:

My R8 will not make Silverstone as it has not been repaired after the Audi dealer crashed it. I will have the SL there all being well however I am also worried about the noise level. I have just had a couple of mufflers put back in last week so hopefully all will go well.

Audi dealer crashed the R8? :mad::mad: Badly?

I was looking forward to seeing it.

There won't be any noise issues at Silverstone. The only place I don't get black flagged for noise.

Spun the car hit a curb destroyed 2 wheels, damaged a ceramic rotor and some cosmetic damage to front and rear bumpers.

I have had an independent assessor look at the car and I am waiting for the report to decide what to do, how much compensation to ask for.

Looks like you got to have some fun - at last :thumb:

The R300 race series record is 2:19, and the Mag 7 300hp+ monsters are a couple of seconds faster. I'd be happy with that.

I was totally letting off the throttle way before the bends and half coasting and half braking. I can spot the braking point in an R400 easily, in this it's a lot harder, and seeing as I put it in the gravel trap pretty early on I decided to potter around and leave the heroics until summer.

Arrgghhhh! I have the disease worse than I thought! I sold my academy on Monday, it's being collected tomorrow. I spent some of today looking at a C400 race car with a Quaife sequential 'box. The thought of being without is more than I can bear! Woe is me! ;-)

So I've given in and will be having an extension made to the new silencers to extend under the rear of the car.

Titanium will keep the weight to a minimum and it may end up with TVR Tuscan style CF tube silencers after a link section.

The downshift engine kill causing pops and bangs still an issue. Mountune failed to resolve the issue with the ECU on the bench and have requested a session with the car at North Weald. Not sure what the difference is, but apparently sitting in the passenger seat with a laptop may give them more information to make the necessary adjustment. This should all be done by mid March hopefully.

Do you have some days lined up for this year? I am trying to look at track days to book. I want to do a couple of days at SPA. If you are up for it we could split the cost of transporting 2 caterhams and support.

I am going to do the modball rally in early July in my SL and definitely want to do Silverstone, Brands GP and Donnington again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom