Ceiling fans.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Who, if any, are the premium manufacturers of ceiling fans?

I bought a Fantasia one a year ago and it is OK but not great.

The motor hums a bit and it clicks and clacks a lot.

Maybe that is par for the course but I'm wondering if DC motors are quieter for the hum...

The cheap one we bought from B&Q was pretty much on a par. :rolleyes:

We bought one of the remote controlled propellor ones from B&Q and it's whisper quiet - no complaints

I am including this fan Buy Manhattan Satin Ceiling Fan - Nickel at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Ceiling and wall lights. as a warning. We bought two, noticed they were very well constructed which was no surprise because they were made by Westinghouse.
On going back to buy three more the following year for our other house, we found manufacture had moved to China and instead of being whisper quiet, they were loud, humming monstrosities.

Like all things, you only get what you pay for so we went for a Westinghouse- an earlier version of this- which they also do in 152cm form. Very quiet and moves a lot of air Westinghouse 132cm Techno 3 Blade Ceiling Fan with Remote | Wayfair UK

Last edited:
Might sound a stupid question I know, but how are they fixed to the ceiling? I take it with plasterboard it's a case of going above with a bolt?... If they can be fixed to plasterboard that is

Never looked in to these, summer is absolute torture for me as I get too hot too easy. Pair that up with a fear of spiders, and you can imagine how hot the bedroom gets when I refuse to have the windows open. Can't win :eek:

All Ceiling fans are noisy

We have 2 slaves in our bedroom to slowly waft palm branches right through the night.

Ant.

Might sound a stupid question I know, but how are they fixed to the ceiling? I take it with plasterboard it's a case of going above with a bolt?... If they can be fixed to plasterboard that is

Never looked in to these, summer is absolute torture for me as I get too hot too easy. Pair that up with a fear of spiders, and you can imagine how hot the bedroom gets when I refuse to have the windows open. Can't win :eek:

You need to fix them to a joist which the plasterboard should be joined to. Otherwise you will end up wearing it.

I got lucky in our bedroom - they'd screwed the light fitting to the ceiling into the joist above - so I could work out it's thickness and then screw the fan in to that.

In another bedroom, they had screwed just in to the plasterboard - so I created an H framework - which I connected in place using 2 adjacent joists - leaving the middle of the H running across where the hole is so I can screw the fan in to that.

My dad has the same issue as you. However spiders come in through many holes, not just open windows!

Last edited:
Awwww Piff. You let me down there. I was expecting something funny in the link.

You're so practical. :rolleyes:

Ant. :D

Or one of these instead of a fan

Ah, the object responsible for the yearly 'debate'. I want to air con the entire house but at least the bedrooms but Mrs GVM says it isn't worth it for only a few months usage a year.......and then spends a few months moaning about how hot it is and that she can't sleep :wallbash: Most definitely not :cool:

We used to have a portable air con unit - however, when this turns off when it reaches temp, when it kicks in again, it wakes you up without fail.

A split system would obviously be quieter but the cost of buying and installing (I understand you can't install yourself anymore) just isn't worth it.

Even on the hottest days of the year, the fan on max pelt just about works out for us - and it is only in the master bedroom.

We don't really need air con.

I understand you can't install yourself anymore
I didn't realise that you can no longer self install. Reading the specs of the link I posted it clearly states you need a qualified installer.
I put one in a couple of years back to heat/cool a garden room and they are so easy to install - ok you need to make a a couple of gas tight joints, but there is little else to it as they are pre-charged with gas

Still gives a nice cooling breeze regardless of extra heat generated. I've never stood in front of a desktop fan during the summer and thought "My goodness, that's hot!" :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom