Central Heating Question - off topic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sammo65

Car
CLK 320
I have a worcester boiler 24cdi and need to replace the Pressure Release Valve, the part is £12 but I cant find a step by step guide to show me how. If I can do it I would like to, unless its a job for the expert??

Technically you are breaking the law if you so much as remove the case on the boiler unless you are gas safe certified. Thats the answer I was given in the past. Therefore it must fall under the realms of a job for the experts. Of course you'll only get caught if you subsequently blow yours and your neighbours' houses up.

I'm not sure if you mean the automatic air vent or the water pressure relief valve. Either way you will have to remove the boiler cover to get good access and drain the boiler. Unfortunately the cover forms part of the balanced flue air circulation system and is thus a safety related issue as is draining the boiler. For that reason I suggest you get a registered boiler engineer to effect this repair :thumb: ---- in fact I believe current safety regulations make this mandatory?:dk:

Technically you are breaking the law if you so much as remove the case on the boiler unless you are gas safe certified. Thats the answer I was given in the past. Therefore it must fall under the realms of a job for the experts. Of course you'll only get caught if you subsequently blow yours and your neighbours' houses up.

I think the reality is a bit more pragmatic. Unless you're gas safe you can't touch the gas parts of the system. That doesn't stop you removing the cover to access the other parts.

Having watched Corgi and Gas safe technicians mess up over the years I'm not inclined to let anybody registered play with my boiler unless I watch over and *supervise them*. Many are not experts - and some are very poor in terms of diagnostic skills - these days they can get away with it in part because they have a mobile phone and can access the boiler manufacturers' technical support (still doesn't mean they actually understand or think through what they're told though).

I think the reality is a bit more pragmatic. Unless you're gas safe you can't touch the gas parts of the system. That doesn't stop you removing the cover to access the other parts.

That is correct.

Having watched Corgi and Gas safe technicians mess up over the years I'm not inclined to let anybody registered play with my boiler unless I watch over and *supervise them*. Many are not experts - and some are very poor in terms of diagnostic skills - these days they can get away with it in part because they have a mobile phone and can access the boiler manufacturers' technical support (still doesn't mean they actually understand or think through what they're told though).

This is true BUT in the event of someone blowing out the side of their house or poisoning half their family with carbon monoxide an insurance company might adopt a different line if they got wind of a boiler fault that occurred following any "DIY engineering" And if we are adopting a pragmatic approach might I tentatively suggest anyone who has to ask for a step by step guide how to replace a boiler part should not really be in there at all! :dk: No offence sammo65 :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom