Ceramic coating, is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My thoughts are, considering your medical history, to go with the ceramic coating. Having had it done (albeit on a car fresh from the factory) I can honestly say it is soooo much easier to keep clean and glossy with minimal effort. No wax on, wax off. Simply wash and go, well with a spray of X-press spray wax, no rubbing or buffing as easy as drying off with a microfibre.

Forgive my ignorance. Is ceramic coating worthwhile on black solid paint?

Forgive my ignorance. Is ceramic coating worthwhile on black solid paint?
Yes Ant, it makes it quicker and easier to wash, which is important on black paint. But the drawback is that if the coating makes water bead rather than sheet, then it can leave watermarks which are more visible on black paint than they are on any other colour.

Yes Ant, it makes it quicker and easier to wash, which is important on black paint. But the drawback is that if the coating makes water bead rather than sheet, then it can leave watermarks which are more visible on black paint than they are on any other colour.

Cheers Rob. So, Solid White paint any easier to live with?

Cheers Rob. So, Solid White paint any easier to live with?
Yes, quick to wash, quick to dry, no need to worry about holograms and fine scratches when you wash it, but it can look dirty quickly (but no quicker than black). Easily fixed though when it's so quick to wash.

Personally I think silver is easily the easiest to maintain and keep clean, and also the most forgiving colour of the lot. They stay clean looking for ages, and hide fine scratches well.

Yes, quick to wash, quick to dry, no need to worry about holograms and fine scratches when you wash it, but it can look dirty quickly (but no quicker than black). Easily fixed though when it's so quick to wash.

Personally I think silver is easily the easiest to maintain and keep clean, and also the most forgiving colour of the lot. They stay clean looking for ages, and hide fine scratches well.

I think we need to chat. Ordered Audi in solid black. But White is an opition. (Too tight to pay extra for metallic you see) I've got a month to decide.

I think we need to chat. Ordered Audi in solid black. But White is an opition. (Too tight to pay extra for metallic you see) I've got a month to decide.
I think Black or White both looks good, both hard to keep clean as neither hide dirt very well (you’d expect black to but no hehe but it looks gorgeous when clean)

As rob said, Silver hides dirt very well, I’ve sometimes not washed the silver Clk for ages and still looked okay, the brilliant silver does a brilliant job ;)

You could Pay for metallic and get silver too :) , you know you want to ;)

Firstly congratulations on ordering the Audi Ant.

I did exactly the same when I leased my Audi, i didn't't want to pay extra for paint as it was a cheap lease deal and changing the paint increased the monthly cost!

Of the no cost colours, I wanted black but ended up with white, so I didn't have to worry about it showing marks at the end of the lease, and so I could use cheaper valets.

I needn't have worried though though, my usual detailed looked after it, and it never made it to it's second birthday, and so never got handed back. Great car though.

Which model is it Ant, and is it only black or white to choose from at no additional cost?

Which model is it Ant, and is it only black or white to choose from at no additional cost?
Just spotted it another thread: A4 Avant, nice! I think both black and white will suite it really well. I would go white if you have privacy glass, and black if you don't.

It's your cars older sister, but here was mine in white:

full

Just spotted it another thread: A4 Avant, nice! I think both black and white will suite it really well. I would go white if you have privacy glass, and black if you don't.

full
That was a stunner Rob, I wonder where it is now :mad:

full

Yeah, like yours we have privacy glass and black details within the 'Black Edition' model. Same alloys as yours above (albeit 19's not 20's)

I must say yours looked lovely in white. Like Abbs said, wonder where it is now the ********!!!

Concern with black solid paint is swirl marks as its a 4 year lease and don't want it looking tatty towards the final years. That's why I was curious about if ceramic coating would help.

Yeah, like yours we have privacy glass and black details within the 'Black Edition' model. Same alloys as yours above (albeit 19's not 20's)

I must say yours looked lovely in white. Like Abbs said, wonder where it is now the ********!!!

Concern with black solid paint is swirl marks as its a 4 year lease and don't want it looking tatty towards the final years. That's why I was curious about if ceramic coating would help.
Your new car will be great! Swirl marks were my concern too, and hence going for white. Even if you take great care of the car, and wash it properly (safely), it only takes a trip to the dealer to undo that and with a four year lease you'll probably do that at least a couple of times.

We've since had a black car (not leased though) and so we had it paint corrected and then Gyeon ceramic coating applied, which supposedly helps to resist swirl marks. Unfortunately ours was washed by the dealer (despite them knowing better and there being signs hanging from the driver's head rest, rear view mirror and passenger grab handle) and it left swirl marks behind, so we had to have it recorrected and reapplied.

If swirl marks will irritate you, I would recommend avoiding black unless you have the time, patience and gear to properly look after it yourself, or have someone who you trust to do it for you. I have the gear, but these days don't have the time and patience, so I use a detailer.

Something to consider 'investing' in is a water filter like Daqua. I have and continue to have black cars, but only look their best when clean which we know can be a PITA to keep them like that for any length of time. I simply wash using the two bucket method and rinse using the filter and that's it, job done! No drying involved at all, dries spotless and leaves no watermarks etc behind! Was initially skeptical, but am now a true convert to using filters.:)

Something to consider 'investing' in is a water filter like Daqua. I have and continue to have black cars, but only look their best when clean which we know can be a PITA to keep them like that for any length of time. I simply wash using the two bucket method and rinse using the filter and that's it, job done! No drying involved at all, dries spotless and leaves no watermarks etc behind! Was initially skeptical, but am now a true convert to using filters.:)

Abb what kind of ballpark figure would something like this cost?

I saw one made by Aqua Gleam that simple sits between your hose pipe and tap which is £99.99 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006SFSU9Y/?tag=amazon0e9db-21
Any thoughts?

Abs

Abb what kind of ballpark figure would something like this cost?

I saw one made by Aqua Gleam that simple sits between your hose pipe and tap which is £99.99 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006SFSU9Y/?tag=amazon0e9db-21
Any thoughts?

Abs

This is the one I bought, from DAQUA - Suppliers of DI Vessels - Complete and Filled with Resin

11 Litre DI Vessel Complete (8"x17") Blue Filled With MB-115 Resin

Its about the size of a fire extinguisher and attaches in the same principal as the one in your link, ie between your tap and your hose pipe. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the one you have mentioned. Mine was around the £110 mark IIRC. Theres a full thread on here somehwere regarding DI vessels, which is how I ended up with mine in the 1st place!:)

I'd also recommend a ceramic coating over wax given your medical issue. Simply, you wont need to apply any coating for several years.

The Aqua Gleem filter is a very expensive solution to enter 'no drying utopia'. Its main problem is that its not refillable, so the expensive hardware is disposed of. Much better is a quality DI vessel - I use this one:
Refillable 0ppm Water Filter (7 litre) RG-Filter-7L

Any freshly applied wax, or over the long term ceramic product will either generate great sheeting (no water droplets on sloping/side surfaces) or beading on flat ones. But if that's tap or road water it will generate water spots of either dissolved solids or dirt. Using a water filter for a final rinse off will save you any drying at all.

I think that a combination of Ceramic and a DI vessel is your best bet.

Ceramic is equally suited to black, white or any other colour. Have a look at the black SL on this page:
Kenotek Valeting Products from More Than Polish

Check out the forensic detailing channel on YouTube , will tell you everything u want to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom