chain guide rail removal??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

butler23

Car
Mercedes c230k sport w202
Stuck with another problem now.... i have 1 bolt left to remove before i can take off the timing chain cover but its underneath the guide rail and it wont budge.
How do you remove the rail so i can get to the bolt??
Any help much appreciated!

You need a small slide hammer with an m6 thread to remove the guide rail pin.

18_rem_guide_pin.jpg

I havent, i was aware of the pin but wasnr sure exactly how to get it out... next resort was to cut it in half. Cheers carat!!

So i guess ya have to screw into it and then pull it out?

Yep, but make sure you screw it in as far as it will go. If it's only in a few turns you will just rip the threads out of the pin.

If you have not got access to a slide hammer a bolt will do. I made a slide hammer, not difficult, as I had a few to take out. You can get the guide pin out with an M6x30mm bolt and a short piece of 15mm pipe about 25mm long. Put a washer over the end of the pipe and screw the bolt through it in to the pin. Should act like a puller and draw the pin in to the pipe. When replacing oil well and tap in to place.

If you have not got access to a slide hammer a bolt will do. I made a slide hammer, not difficult, as I had a few to take out. You can get the guide pin out with an M6x30mm bolt and a short piece of 15mm pipe about 25mm long. Put a washer over the end of the pipe and screw the bolt through it in to the pin. Should act like a puller and draw the pin in to the pipe. When replacing oil well and tap in to place.

I used the bolt method when doing it on the W126, however I recommend using a new bolt for each pin extracted. I was reusing a bolt and it snapped in the pin. I had to drill it out retap and then extract the pin, a very painful experience!

Cheers guys! Only need to take out the 1 pin just enough to move the rail to get the bolt behind it!

I should also have said that you need to keep packing the washers and so lift the bolt out of the pipe. You would have to unscrew it each time to add a washer. If you don't the danger is that the bolt will bottom and either strip the thread or break. The slide hammer seems a much more brutal method than the bolt but it does work.

Cheers for the info. Mate has a slide hammer so going to have a go at it tomorrow. Hopefully wont be long before i have this cover off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom