Changing battery: should I use an OBD II memory saver cord?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pnevesfoto

Car
MB W203 C220 CDI Avantgard Station
I read this in another forum:

The big red plastic cap marked [+] flips up and accepts a second jump start battery - the ground is obviously any good contact point on the chassis. This removes the magic trick of trying to keep the new cables on the old terminals whilst throwing around a huge acid cell.

It is not the removal that kills the rear sam but rather the insertion. The best information I have is that the rear SAM power input cable (very large connection with thick red cable) is the best cable to remove from the rear SAM prior to attaching battery again. The surge is the one that goes from 0 -> 12V.

The only 2 caveats are that
----------------------------
1. Early W203 SAM modules die when powered down

2. Inserted keys blow the rear sam in 100% of all new battery installs.

Keeping the car alive is by far the best insurance but be aware that a 2 battery system can not be safely installed for longer than the shortest possible time in which one battery can be safely removed.

The prospect of reverse polarity applies to any battery in a circuit with a second battery of a different potential. That can only lead to one battery getting very warm / hot.

The workshop specified systems have a true power controller for the second battery (keep alive unit). Some workshops actually use a battery charger and not any kind of battery at all.

well, I also seen in another tutorial that we could use an "OBD II memory saver cord" to connect our car computers to an external power source (jumper start booster for instance) and safely make the battery change with no fuss and risk of short circuiting when reconnecting the battery unit...

ams28.jpg

what is your appraised opinion on this matter?

I had to get a replacement battery for my S203 not long after buying it, went to (I think) ATS, connected a spare battery to the spare +ve and the top of the suspension, changed the old battery for the new, carefully making sure the fitter knew the leads were still live, then disconnected the spare battery. Encountered no problem at all, took about 5 mins tops to change the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom