Changing Pounds to Euros

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnkyte

Car
1996 c250 estate
Where does one get best value for changing pounds to euros ,,in England or France

If in England who offers the best rate??

I was told by someone that because the rate is always changing so it's impossible to say. That was a travel agent!

If there is somewhere, then I'd like to know as I'm planning a trip to France :D

I found M&S to be very good when I changed my currency last year, Cypriot pounds and Euro's, worth trying, you'll have to have a good look everywhere though 'cos they change all the time!:D

Unless you're talking about chaning masses of money then the Post Office is as good a place as any as often no commission. Or try your own bank. The rates are generally there or thereabouts and you can waste more time and money just to try and secure an extra couple fo quid.

Whats that?? England 19 - Wales 26? :D

Yes Pammy --I believe the post office is as good as any--I usually find the rate in the P.O. then go to travel agent nearby and they will beat it
Only by about £4 on a thousand

Sadly the rate is very low at the moment

If you're talking about relatively small sums, then in my opinion (and as Pammy says) it's not worth worrying about.

I always have several hundred Euro in my wallet, because I spend half my time in France, Germany and Italy. When I need more, I go to a cashpoint.

PJ

Oh and the PO gets my vote too!

I never change money when I'm going to Europe, just use my debit card and cashcard at ATM's as I go. The rates are usually comparable to any good deals out there and my bank don't charge a sly 'admin' fee for so doing. Plus if the exchange rate improves whilst you're away your're up on the deal (obviously works the other way round too).

It also gets round the problem of starting your trip with a huge wad of cash to worry about.

Ibrar! Are you on your own planet?? :eek: :D ;)

Not really, but there has been a sudden influx of people going abroad during the 6 nations, I just assumed that this was the main reason, hence me mentioning the England vs Wales result.

And for the benefit for other members

removed

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a Nationwide Flexaccount, use their direct debit card in a hole in the wall in the country you're visiting. There's no commission and the rate is the "official" exchange rate on the day. At least it was the last time I looked.

Unless you're talking about chaning masses of money then the Post Office is as good a place as any as often no commission. Or try your own bank. The rates are generally there or thereabouts and you can waste more time and money just to try and secure an extra couple fo quid.
I agree with this. The post office is usually v good

I have to change money up pretty regularly and because its only small sums of about £500 I just either use the Post Office or M&S. Neither charge commision and both normally have decent rates.
As said before you could spend hours looking for a better deal and then when you exchange the rate has changed and you lose out;)

If you have a Nationwide Flexaccount, use their direct debit card in a hole in the wall in the country you're visiting. There's no commission and the rate is the "official" exchange rate on the day. At least it was the last time I looked.
It still is. I got myself a Nationwide Credit Card about three years ago primarily to use as a charge card while on holiday because of no commission & no exchange rate loading. Last year I finally got my ar*e in gear and moved my current account from HSBC (who managed to p*ss me off by re-jigging the rates on their high-interest accounts - to their benefit - and then seeing fit to tell me about it 2 months later) to a Nationwide Flexaccount. As you quite rightly say this lets you take money out of ATM's while abroad with no transaction fee and at what looks like money-market exchange rates.

I never change currency when abroad, just use the ATM's for cash and pay for everything else on the credit or debit card. On an average two-week trip to the continent I reckon my wife and I save enough in transaction fees and commission (hidden or otherwise) for at least one meal for two.

I always use ATM's you always get a better rate than any Bureaux De change, and you get money only as you need it, I wouldn't draw out less than around €250 at a time, The only place I have come across better rates than ATM's is in Benidorm most Bureaux De changes, for some reason they can be better than the bank base rate. The last place I would change money would be at a port, airport or on a ship, they don't live in the real world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom