Charles Morgan's 190 16v for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Listed as sold and also listed in their classic cars previously sold section.

Not sold - Simeon has added some other cars, used this ad as the template, so has put it in sold, then copied it and overwritten the words for the new ones. Hopefully it will be back soon. That's what he told me yesterday.

It was also reviewed in Mercedes Enthusiast. It is for sale, but at home, and if no-one buys it at the correct price for all the work done, I'll continue enjoying it. Simples!

Since the ad was originally done (and car tested by the two mags) it's been machine polished, had new carpet mats and rubber mats, and had just had a lovely mid90s Italvolanti Imola steering wheel fitted, which has revolutionised the control interface. The large old steering wheel is a bit too wide and too difficult to hold for hard cornering.

Last edited:
Whats the price? The advert still says "sold"..............

Don't worry about it saying sold, it isn't. Don't worry why - it will be listed again correctly on Monday.

The selling price is £9995. It is frankly not comparable with any car that hasn't had a full body rebuild, new wings, respray to a very high standard, good wheels and tyres as well as complete top end overhaul, new radiator, cooling fan, engine mounts, steering box rebuild, new windscreen plus tons of other stuff, and is very high spec to start with.

And that is all I have to say - please don't start comparing it to others on the market at much less, they will need thousands spent on them to get close, and as I said above, if someone doesn't want it at close to that price, then I'll carry on enjoying it. I'm having a clear out and whichever car sells decides which cars stay!

Owes me too much having had the cylinder head overhaul that I hadn't planned. Same with the Allard, same with the XM, same with the Range Rover and, not the same with the Golf GTi, but that did less for me than I thought. I am buying a new car because I am fed up with spending all my time and money on cars with problems.

I aim to have one new car, one SM (pointless trying to sell) and one other, and the cars that sell will determine those that remain. It's a great thing with the engine running now, so is the Allard, so is the GTi so is the SM.

I also don't have room for 8 cars!

You have 8 cars now .... omg you must be more OCD than me. :)

You have 8 cars now .... omg you must be more OCD than me. :)

Yes, Other Car Disorder. He has suffered with it for a long time. Good to hear he's taking those first vital steps to recovery.

Yes, Other Car Disorder. He has suffered with it for a long time. Good to hear he's taking those first vital steps to recovery.

I've seen this before.

As soon as he gets down to 2 cars, he'll be adding to the collection again.

best of luck with the sale,looks great and given the work its had someone will get a nice example there. good advert too.
mines not moved much lately

There was a day last week when one was in Holland (SM), two were up at Oxford (gti and the one I'm not mentioning), one was in Farnborough (Allard) one was on order (identity to be discovered in quiz), one was broken down (XM), two were SORN (Range Rover colander and 190) and one had ABS, airbag and window opening issues (other XM) .

Suddenly I'm driving a 24 year old Mercedes as my main car. I can't wait for the new new one to arrive.

Probably the best colour for one of these?
The one below has much lower miles but that silver gold colour ... Its been for sale for ages: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 190e 2.5-16 Cosworth long mot and tax,superb value | eBay

That looks like it has potential but I reckon there's work required (you can bet on it), even if the mileage is genuine. But, if someone is looking for a useable project this might fit the bill. Smoke silver too can be a very nice colour with a bit of spit & polish.

That looks like it has potential but I reckon there's work required (you can bet on it), even if the mileage is genuine. But, if someone is looking for a useable project this might fit the bill. Smoke silver too can be a very nice colour with a bit of spit & polish.

Agree, no doubt it needs some work. Probably quite a few bits I am sure.
I like buying a bit of a project anyway, especially if you can drive it while getting it done. I know you never get the money back but at least you know its done properly.
Working on a Range Rover at the moment so no space for me sadly, but actually did find another 2.5 for £3k also with low miles recently. Needed a respray though ideally. Bad wing and a spot on the roof i think bizzarely.
Can't find it now but had same owner for about 10 years if memory serves me right. Only saw it last week, but cants remember if it was pistonheads, ebay etc etc.
Always wanted one for years ... Have a model on my desk I have had for 20 years so def on the list of must haves!
Maybe this year, will see ...

I doubt you'll have any regrets when you do get one provided you accept it for what it is, as there's no other Merc like it, which is a positive rather than a negative. But do, do it and drive like it was designed to be driven and it's smiles all the way there & back! ;) I'd keep looking to buy at the figures you mentioned too, if you get a half decent one for say 4k and allow that again or a bit more over a reasonable time span you'll end up with a cracking motor with taking any major wallet dip in one hit.
Bear in mind too, that these are not getting any cheaper. I'm actually very tempted to buy another, make it lighter and carry out a few choice modifications, lose 120-150kg & another 30-40bhp, the aim being a genuine 200bhp+/ton. But all talk by me just at the moment as I still haven't had the time to sort out fully what I've already got! So, my advice would to finish the RR first :D

I am a big fan, so only a matter of time :)
it's also the cheapest car left on my long bucket list!

Nice idea to strip one out but it would be lost on me ... i am not a good enough driver to take advantage.. Me on a track would be amusing and dangerous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom