Cheap Car for Father in Law - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
Hello all

My father in law has just had his 10 year old automatic Bora written off when parked and needs a replacement.

He has an impending issue with his vision that he knows will take him off the road sooner rather than later and he is adjusting his life to cope with not driving [he only drives in daylight anyway]. So cheap to own and run, safe and as solid feeling as possible is favourite. Also thinking lease type deal that if he has to throw in the towel on driving we would be able give it back? Could be in 2 years time, definitely within 5 years. My mother in law does not drive.

We are thinking 5 door, low CO2 emissions [sub £30 road tax low] and cheap to own/run. He was given a Skoda Fabia as a loan car while the insurer decided what to do with the Bora which he liked.

New I have thought of Kia Picanto, Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2, VW Polo, Skoda Fabia and was thinking 3 + ? personal lease type deals. Anyone have any advice on what small car to try and any good value finance routes? Low intitial outlay and monthly instalments are key. An automatic would be ideal but not necessary. Leasing seems to start at around £100 pm

Used might be worth a look too, but seems more difficult to finance and dispose of. Though thinking about it my eldest nephew will be coming up to driving age in 18 months...

Any advice thankfully appreciated as ever. Not often in the market for buying cars you see.

Sean

If he like's the Fabia, maybe a trip to your local Skoda dealer is in order,
They have 20% discount ( vat free) and 0% finace at the mo.

VW Polo

He will be used to the controls (similar even now to Bora) and as safe as you can probably get a small car.

Good quality image and build. Great TDi engines and the polo is now probably as big as a 10 year old golf anyway in size.

Good re-sale and all round quality car in a small car size.

Can you get a polo for £100 a month? I suspect its closer to £200.

The only things around the £100 per month PCP deal at the moment that I could find are Smarts, Pandas and 107's.

Last edited:
^ Sorry I didn't lnow it has to be £100 a month... oops

That probably leaves very little options...

I don't think a new Mini is a suitable car for a grown man. But I might be in a minority there

Why buy anything remotely new? What's the point? FIL may well take the corners off it and, if he doesn't, I am sure your nephew will

A 5-year-old Fabia sounds like a good idea. Nice car - I drove one a few weeks ago in the same week I drove a Mini. I thought the Mini was a steaming pile of sh1te but the Fabia was lovely

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:
Can you get a polo for £100 a month? I suspect its closer to £200.

The only things around the £100 per month PCP deal at the moment that I could find are Smarts, Pandas and 107's.

Alan Day are offering a 3-door Polo 1.2 for £115 per month over 3 years/10,000 miles, with a £2700 deposit. (APR is quite high, though, at 7.9%.) They're also doing the VW Fox for £99 per month, £2079 deposit.

Lingcars will do a Mercedes-Benz A160 Classic SE BlueEFFICIENCY on a "personal operating lease" for £486 intial payment followed by £162 per month over three years.

I agree with bolide that a five-year-old Fabia would be better value and should be a very solid, reliable car. However, don't assume that a small engine means low emissions/cheap tax; my 2006 1.2 HTP manages to put out 144g/km, putting it in band F (£130 per year).

Well decision made - compromised and adjusted expectations and he is the proud owner [not leaser] of a two year old 15k mile Skoda Fabia 1.6S auto, which he loves.

Not quite what we planned, but a good deal from Skoda dealer with plenty of depreciation already taken, so hopefully the right result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom