Cheap Diagnostic Scan Tools...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JameSlk

Car
2008 SLK200
Hi there,

First post here, although I did join a few days or so ago! :) Also if this is in the wrong section then sorry, and I appreciate this type of thread probably gets asked a lot, but I couldn’t find any suitable threads online!

Two weeks ago today I bought my dad a 2008 SLK200 for his birthday. It has been great, however today my dad informed be the engine management light came on. I asked him if the car drove OK and whether there was anything unusual like erratic idling or misfires etc, but he said it was fine. Once home I took the car for a quick drive myself and all seems OK bar the CEL!

I have spent all evening searching the internet for cheap diagnostic tools so I can scan the car to see what the code is so I can try and fix the problem. As you can imagine there a lot of different tools available. I do not want to spend too much money, just something simple that can scan the ECU, read fault codes and clear them.

I have found the following on ebay, can anyone recommend any of them or anything else?

Merceds iCarsoft i980, £100… MERCEDES BENZ DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER TOOL SRS ABS CHECK ENGINE OBD2 CODE READER SCAN | eBay

Konnwei KW808, £40… For MERCEDES BENZ OBD 2 Car Diagnostic Code Reader Scanner Tool Professional M11 | eBay

MaxiScan MS309, £19… For Mercedes Benz Car Diagnostic PRO Scanner Code Reader Fault Tool OBD OBD2 | eBay

U480, £13… Mercedes Benz MB OBD2 CAN BUS Fault Code Reader Scanner diagnostic scan tool UK | eBay

The £100 iCarsoft i980 looks the best by far, but is obviously that much more than the others. The £19 MaxiScan says; “Please note doesn’t cover airbag, DPF, ABS, gearbox or other modules – these need a special scanner”. I would assume the cheapest diagnostic scanner, the £13 U480, is also the same and won’t be able to clear airbag/ABS fault codes etc?

Does anyone know if the £40 Konnwei KW808 is able to clear ABS/airbag faults etc? It looks that much better than the cheapest two, but if it can’t then it’s basically the same just with more buttons!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your response re the above 4 scan tools and any other ones that are suitable and reasonably priced.

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
I have just bought the ICarsoft I980 its a good bit of kit but didn't do what I wanted to do. If you want just a code reader with some basic data the you could always go down the WIFI route with the ELM327 and the get the diagnostic app on your phone.

James - where are you - for that price are you not better finding a independent garage and asking them whats wrong with it - the fix maybe cheaper than buying the kit.

EOBD
Engine On Board Diagnosis

If it's EOBD it's Engine checks only.

I have just bought the ICarsoft I980 its a good bit of kit but didn't do what I wanted to do. If you want just a code reader with some basic data the you could always go down the WIFI route with the ELM327 and the get the diagnostic app on your phone.

Out of interest, what didn't it do for you?

EDIT; just noticed your in Essex, don't suppose your near sunny Southend?! lol

James - where are you - for that price are you not better finding a independent garage and asking them whats wrong with it - the fix maybe cheaper than buying the kit.

True, but at the same time it will prob cost 1/3 of the price just to get a garage to scan my car, plus it is a useful tool to have IMHO!

EOBD
Engine On Board Diagnosis

If it's EOBD it's Engine checks only.

It would seem the carsoft tool does both. But if the EOBD works on other cars too, does that mean it won't be able to clear CELs on them, just read them?

Last edited:
Re: vijilants post with link to review of scanners: a very concise, and readable review of scanners available. Detailed enough to make a decision, but without long explanations about what the scanners reviewed can and can't do. Thanks for the link.

parkman

I've a new i980 scanner you can try, I'm in N.E. London.

I might even sell it to you...stupidly I bought it for my w210, which it does not do!

I've a new i980 scanner you can try, I'm in N.E. London.

I might even sell it to you...stupidly I bought it for my w210, which it does not do!

OK that's interesting, let me get my post count up to 30 and then I can communicate with you via PM

Re: vijilants post with link to review of scanners: a very concise, and readable review of scanners available. Detailed enough to make a decision, but without long explanations about what the scanners reviewed can and can't do. Thanks for the link.

parkman

It's useful.

OK that's interesting, let me get my post count up to 30 and then I can communicate with you via PM

Fine. It looks a great piece of kit and I'd like to see it working on a compatible car.:doh:

This offer is also open to any other local member who'd just like to try the i980 out on their (non 202, 210) car.

Will PM you soon buddy once I have hit 30 posts

Fine. It looks a great piece of kit and I'd like to see it working on a compatible car.:doh:

This offer is also open to any other local member who'd just like to try the i980 out on their (non 202, 210) car.

Check your email mate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom