Cheap W211 estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Anyone seen any cheap W211 estates for sale?
With the AMG styling would be great...

Cheers

Can someone who's owned one, advise on how practical they are. What are the common issues etc... not bothered about engine, economy over performance in this case

Cheers

great car, very practical if you have the 7 seat option. watch out for the electric tailgate and cover, the motor failed 3 times in mine before its 3rd birthday.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

As much as I love my S211, it seems to have become a bit of a money pit lately. It's currently at Wayne Gates, undergoing a gearbox rebuild after it lost all drive on Sunday. Last June, it needed around 2k of work for the MOT and a year or so before that, a front wheel bearing failed and gave me another big bill!

I just sold mine, can't say I got along with it. Constantly needed things doing (especially the suspension) and the interior rattled all over the place. It did waft along the motorway nicely though.

Hmm thanks for all the input guys

I will pass on it for now :D

A quarter of a million E class made every year.....

Have to say, my experience is completely different.

First owner of my S211 was scrupulous in getting it serviced by MB, so I have a full set of invoices for all the work done.

In 13 years / 74k miles, it's only had routine servicing, an airmatic fault about six years ago, and an electronic gearbox sensor fault two years ago. At most that's £2k over the cost of routine servicing.

OK, he let the battery go flat a couple of times, and broke a wing mirror, but that's not the fault of the car.

Back in the day I used to commute to Frankfurt regularly and spent many an early morning / late evening sheeting myself in the back of a Frankfurt Taxi as it whizzed between the Airport and Centre at speeds which would give an Uber the vapours. Those cars always seemed almost new yet typically had 300k, and sometimes much more, on the clock. Taxi drivers always prioritise cost and reliability.

Of course the elephant in the room is what other car are you comparing it to: Volvo or BMW estates both have their own reliability issues - let alone the limitations of ride quality and interior finish. And SUV's have a complete set of risks around the whole off-road thing.

And if you're considering it for its load lugging capability, there aren't many cars that will take a 29er bike without needing you to remove the front wheel:

mikeinwimbledon-albums-s211-e500-2004-picture10677-img-9485.jpg

So I'd say that they are well designed and built cars, with a huge load area, and are very reliable.

And given that 250,000 E class are sold each and every year, it would seem I'm not alone.

The challenge is finding one that's been serviced and hasn't been clocked.

Last edited:
^ Completely 2nd the Above, i'm on my 2nd 211 and tbh there are just brilliant at what they do.

If they rattle inside there is differently something wrong with the car as a whole. They are very well built.

Video of production line at Sindelfingen...

mercedes-benz-produces-first-new-e-class-many-many-more-to-follow-105053_1.jpg

OK, it's a bit nerdy, but how can anyone not be impressed by a car that's produced on a production line like this.
Check out the earlier models behind the new W212....

(click on link for video)

https://youtu.be/1sc2cXVaTxY

I love mine too had it 8 years and done 156k. Apart from usual servicing it's had a glow plug relay and 3 glow plugs, 2 new front springs last week. new ball joint and control arms...that's it...best everyday car I have ever owned

I've owned over ten W/S211's (I've lost count to be honest) and loved them all, the estates in particular are cavernous to the point of being comparable to a van.

If you wanted as little potential maintenance cost as possible go for a facelift 220 CDI; has the more reliable five speed gearbox, the bulletproof (if a little agricultural) four pot and no SBC (which is a great system btw).

Fascinating video. Now if only MB dealerships had maintenance and repair robots (and technicians) like that!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

As much as I love my S211, it seems to have become a bit of a money pit lately. It's currently at Wayne Gates, undergoing a gearbox rebuild after it lost all drive on Sunday. Last June, it needed around 2k of work for the MOT and a year or so before that, a front wheel bearing failed and gave me another big bill!

Who’d have known a year later I’d be driving this very car Gordon :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom