Cheaper V belt 'mare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny705

Car
Vito 120
Just thought I would mention this case it helps anyone :0

I ordered a Meyle V-ribbed drive belt for my Om 642 v6 engine (ebay)
It had never been changed , when I swapped it over it just squealed and slipped .

Thought I might have routed it wrong ,but hadn't, such an **** of a job went and ordered a Genuine MB belt.

It was around £40 but was also a Meyle! but rubber material was totally different - upon looking the original belt of ebay was in fact a Contitech, but in Meyle box!

The material is just 'slippy' it has no grip if that makes sense - so on that basis I would say don't get a cheaper belt and take the risk if you have to get it done, just wedge out for the Genuine :)

Prices: Meye generic £16 , Contitech £24 , original MB (Meyle) around £40.

Just thought I would mention this case it helps anyone :0

I ordered a Meyle V-ribbed drive belt for my Om 642 v6 engine (ebay)
It had never been changed , when I swapped it over it just squealed and slipped .

Thought I might have routed it wrong ,but hadn't, such an **** of a job went and ordered a Genuine MB belt.

It was around £40 but was also a Meyle! but rubber material was totally different - upon looking the original belt of ebay was in fact a Contitech, but in Meyle box!

The material is just 'slippy' it has no grip if that makes sense - so on that basis I would say don't get a cheaper belt and take the risk if you have to get it done, just wedge out for the Genuine :)

Prices: Meye generic £16 , Contitech £24 , original MB (Meyle) around £40.
don't you just love Flea Bay ? !!

That's weired , in my I6 CDI the Genuine oem belt was Contitech, I replaced it with a Gates belt and didn't have any issue at all.

Dare I suggest "counterfiet" genuine Contitech poly-V should be fine but more and more German companies are outsourcing their manufacturing to other countries now.

Last edited:
A year or so ago I purchased a Contitech belt from MB for £34 for my OM642. I was surprised it was a Contitech, as I could have got this for £20 from ECP. ANyway it is still on there and working fine, with no wear showing yet.

The shop on eBay was massive, so did not think it would be a rip -off.

Am returning it anyway, but cost me loads of time so if a nightmare to fit a component my view is now it's not worth trying to get cheaper parts.

ON the strength of that I have just ordered a exhaust pressure sensor direct from MB , its £60 compared to a Bosch @ £35 but it's such a hassle to remove it's not worth the time/effort to save £25 , plus it's a revised new part from them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom