Check coolant level??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Last few days it's been quite cold maybe 6c

Switched car on in the morning yesterday got check coolant level, took it for a 10 minute drive once car reached operating temp, switched car off and on and warning message disappeared. Thought nothing more of it.
Then today morning, same message. Opened boneet and had a look, coolant fills about half of the tank (can't see any max/min mark) although my driveway is slightly uphill so unsure if that's triggering a warning. Then took for a drive warmed car up and switched car off and on and message disappeared.
Also note a lot of steam visible out of exhaust but have been told this is the exhaust "breathing" and is normal to see on cold days?

Anyone know how far up the coolant should be?

I'd need to get some coolant tomorrow being Sunday not sure if Mercedes dealership will be open. I'd like to use Mercedes spec fluid. Any help or advise please.

I had similar message on my W204, the message says check the handbook, which I did.
It shows you the correct level, mine required about 1/2 pint, I added distilled water and now message gone.
Tony

Check the coolant on level ground, no point doing it on a slope.

Read your handbook to see where the coolant level markings are located.

Water vapour from the exhaust on cold days is normal, it's always there, but more noticeable on cold days because the vapour condenses quicker.

Hydrocarbon + Oxygen = Water + carbon dioxide.:thumb:

I had a problem with my coolant system, turned out to be a crack in the thermostat housing that didn't leak till the car got hot and the housing expanded allowing the coolant to leak out.
Got mine fixed twice under warranty phew!!

W204 common fault water pump as it's made of plastic, Mine was replaced under warranty

Thanks guys, will head to a Mercedes dealer and pick up some coolant. Do they sell it premixed so I can simply top it up?
Thanks

Thanks I'll be careful with it haha.
One more thing, manual says "coolant is at correct level if when cold reaches the black top part of the resovoir" surely this is completely full then it won't have room to expand? Slightly confused with this. Why can't they just out max and min haha

W204 common fault water pump as it's made of plastic, Mine was replaced under warranty

Same issue I had. Started off requiring coolant top ups every 5 or 6 weeks. That frequency slowly increased with no visible signs of coolant leaking. Took it to the main dealer and water pump was leaking, hitting the ancillary belt and turning to mist, hence no obvious leak. Been spot on since the warranty work.

Hey guys all good, went to MB bought coolant concentrate £13 topped up about 100ml and all good.

Hey guys all good, went to MB bought coolant concentrate £13 topped up about 100ml and all good.

100ml is less than 1/4 pint, just shows you how sensitive the warning system is.
My old BMW E36 used to require a small top up from time to time, using mk 1 eyeball, never a problem, and never saw a leak in 17 years!!
Tony

That's great! Yeh system is so sensitive couldn't believe it :)

It's a sealed system so you should try to figure out where it went.

My w204 does this on cold mornings if the car is parked down hill. Never topped it up though. Not sure if a sensor issue or I'm oblivious to the water pump problem mentioned above.

Last few days it's been quite cold maybe 6c

Switched car on in the morning yesterday got check coolant level, took it for a 10 minute drive once car reached operating temp, switched car off and on and warning message disappeared. Thought nothing more of it.
Then today morning, same message. Opened boneet and had a look, coolant fills about half of the tank (can't see any max/min mark) although my driveway is slightly uphill so unsure if that's triggering a warning. Then took for a drive warmed car up and switched car off and on and message disappeared.
Also note a lot of steam visible out of exhaust but have been told this is the exhaust "breathing" and is normal to see on cold days?

Anyone know how far up the coolant should be?

I'd need to get some coolant tomorrow being Sunday not sure if Mercedes dealership will be open. I'd like to use Mercedes spec fluid. Any help or advise please.

I had the same behaviour with my SL500 (R230). It turned out that the auxiliary coolant pump was leaking.

Ah! All good? for while, it must have gone somewhere!
Prevention is better than cure
You couldn't have been more correct, issue arised
Again :(

Top up your expansion tank leveled with the begining of the joint with the black plastic bit.

This happened on my W212 E220.
Warranty sorted out a leak, they said it wasn't uncommon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom