Check you're Insured

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I owned a mildly tuned 1200 Bandit (127 on the Dyno) in the late 90's and I can assure you it was anything but bland even compared to my R1

Phil

hahahahahhahahaha...funny

Mines (CT 1) is on a "DE DION BOUTON POPULAR"

Had to look it up, and if it's lasted this long I figure the plate ain't coming up for sale any time soon!

i checked my car which is currently SORN'd and uninsured and it says that it is on the database. So does that mean the car appears to be insured even though it isnt?

But does it say its insured.

When i enter mine it says it is showing as insured today.. Your car may be on the database but doesnt mean its insured..

my surname is showing as being on a Bentley Mulsanne

Great site Alps! just found my old 205 1.9 GTI, still insured, sold the car back in the day 99', loads of great memories, would buy it back if it came up:thumb:

Watching the film The Italian job 1969 and Michael Caines car 163 ELT Aston DB4 is still on the data base

Hey guys, does the site show the name of the person that the vehicle is insured on? Here's a story for you. It's a bit long, but a good read...

Dec 20, 2011. Driving into London to meet a a friend at her place, was staying the night and take her sister to Heathrow the next morning. Was about 2 miles to her place when stopped by police. I stopped, got out of my car, and the officer asked me if I knew why I was stopped. I replied no.
Does this car belong to you? Yes I replied.
He said our system is showing this car has no insurance.
I gasped WHAT?!?!?
I said I hope I am insured, money has been going out of my bank to Adrian Flux since March!!
He said, well, our system is showing no insurance. Oh wait, what is your name, I replied my name.
He said, oh well, my mistake, it DOES have insurance, but NOT in YOUR name, it's in something something. Couldn't remember at the time.
Well, I got my phone out, showed him the e:mail's from Adrian Flux for receipt of payment etc for insurance for my car, under my name.
he said, well, on our system, it's not showing YOUR name, do you have your insurance documents with you.
I said no, it's at home.
In that case, I have to impound your car until you can prove you have insruance for this car, and he got on the radio and called for a recovery truck to come take my car.
I, as you can imagine, was well peeved, had to get a taxi for the remained of the trip to friends place, told her what happened, apologised to her sister, and got straight onto the phone to the 24 claims/accident helpline, told the guy on the phone the situation, he looked up on the computer, and said oh, it looks like you are NOT insured on the car.
Boy was I confused.
Next morning, had to get train back home to work, which was a Sunday, so had to wait till Monday morning to ring Adrian Flux, tell them waht happened, and they said that I was definitely insured with them, all valid, on their computers, so I rang the London Met station of the officer who stopped me, spoke to HIM, and he said well, on our system, it's still showing this other person's name, not your's.
So I rang Adrian Flux again, told them, and they said they would look into it and see whats going on.
Half an hour later, got a call back from Adrian Flux. They found out what had happened.
Yes, this is a long story,
OK, the previous owner of my car, who was with Direct Line, had sold me his car, but for some reason, his insurance was still active!?!?! I owned my car for over 2 years by this time!! When my insurance comes up, it would overwrite his, so showing my name on the system, but when his auto renews, HIS name would show on the system, so whoever's name/polcy is new, that will show. Currently, the previous owners policy was running cos it was auto renewed in October, my is March.

So, had to do more phoning around etc to sort it out with Dircet Line, who inturn wrote a letter of apology to me, and reimbursed me all my travel expenses, police impound charge and release fee, plus £100 on top.

But still, had a LOT of grief over what was not my fault.

Even if you have insurance, if it doesn't show on the police system, you are uninsured in their eyes till proven innocent, NOT innocent till proven guilty!!

So glad I picked up on this thread. Did random check on my new c63 and to my horror it was showing no insurance.

Turns out after bit of investigation, my insurer set the policy up correctly when I first took on the new car, with the registration plate HF13 ***

When I called them 10 days ago to confirm the Trackstar they had insisted upon had now been fitted they said they would reissue the policy docs with the newly appended info 'Tracking Device Fitted'. They did, but me being me didn't open the attachments to the email to check their accuracy, or at least unexpected changes.

Turns out they have incorrectly put in the reg plate as F13 *** i.e. losing the first 'H'

They are closed until tomorrow at 09:00 but Im hoping it will be a simple case of correcting their error.

The moral of course is make sure you check your paperwork! (and thanks again to OP for the AskMID.com url which is now on my phone!)

So glad I picked up on this thread. Did random check on my new c63 and to my horror it was showing no insurance.

Turns out after bit of investigation, my insurer set the policy up correctly when I first took on the new car, with the registration plate HF13 ***

When I called them 10 days ago to confirm the Trackstar they had insisted upon had now been fitted they said they would reissue the policy docs with the newly appended info 'Tracking Device Fitted'. They did, but me being me didn't open the attachments to the email to check their accuracy, or at least unexpected changes.

Turns out they have incorrectly put in the reg plate as F13 *** i.e. losing the first 'H'

They are closed until tomorrow at 09:00 but Im hoping it will be a simple case of correcting their error.

The moral of course is make sure you check your paperwork! (and thanks again to OP for the AskMID.com url which is now on my phone!)

My son in law had precisely the same problem with his insurance. Didn't check the documents emailed to him and low and behold got stopped months later and found he was uninsured due to a reg plate error . The broker made the mistake but refused to admit or do anything about it)

That cost him a £300 fine and 6 points for not checking all his details were correct:wallbash:

My son in law had precisely the same problem with his insurance. Didn't check the documents emailed to him and low and behold got stopped months later and found he was uninsured due to a reg plate error . The broker made the mistake but refused to admit or do anything about it)

That cost him a £300 fine and 6 points for not checking all his details were correct:wallbash:

Horrendous! That really is a bitter bill to swallow.

As I said mine should be fixed early tomorrow and to be honest I already have all original policy, schedule, certificate etc with correct reg plate so this is firmly down to an admin error by the insurer. Rest assured I will be checking the fine detail in future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom