Chrome Exhaust Tip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graeme81

Car
Pending
Hi All,
I'm into week 3 of Mercedes ownership and just cleaning up those little bits and pieces that need attention. I have a 2012 C180 Coupé.
The chrome exhaust tip looks like it has never seen polish and now it's so far gone, a new one is the only option. I don't want some cheap rubbish that won't last a few months or anything that looks out of place so an OEM or close facsimile part is probably the best option.

Has anyone replaced his before and is it a screw fit or a welding job?

Any recommendations for parts or how much a dealer part will cost?

Many Thanks

Graeme

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it chrome or stainless steel? I would expect it to clean up pretty well, there are quite a few threads on this.

I think it's stock fit as the car doesn't look to be anything else but that. I'll do a search for the threads. Thanks

Not certain but I think it should be stainles so try cleaning it before buying new, held on by one screw underneath (Allen key job), mine comes off easy with the help of a rubber mallet.

Yup the one on our late S203 is stainless, needed a bit of 'persuasion' after removing the bolt underneath but it did come off in the end. I used a wooden block to protect the back edge and whacked it with a hammer :D

Thanks everyone. Found some really useful threads on cleaning up. I'll give it a go over the next few days. Cheers

My E class has a couple of very dirty tips, think they are chrome. Have tried cleaning them in situ, failed , so will try removing them when the car gets a spring clean next week

Thanks Fidge, will give it a try

I find Anusol and elbow grease works wonders.

Way hay :D

Eric_Morecambe_400x400.jpg

You'd be amazed what a metal polish can do. I bought a modified Lupo years ago with an up turned tail pipe. It was overfilling and the exhaust was black as hell and never seen a polish.

I went at it with some Autoglym metal polish and it came up looking great. If you really need to you can use some wire wool and metal polish but either way it should come up nice and shiny OP. :)

On mine allen bolt holds them in. However getting the allen bolt off is the easy part. These units are made to grip around the exhaust pipe, and from my experience are a real pain to remove.

Squirt plenty of Plusgas inbetween the chrome part and the pipe and wiggle them around and tapping them from the back using a wooden block should release them.

Note, the new tips that I purchased which are original Mercedes do not appear to be anywhere near the quality of what is fitted to the car, so I have decided to keep what's on my car and polish them up instead.

Last edited:
If it is Stainless Steel then a new Brillo pad and warm water should do the job, then give it a go with some Autosol just to sparkle it up.

On mine and Allen bolt holds them in. However getting the allen bolt is the easy part. These units are made to grip around the exhaust pipe, and from my experience are a real pain to remove.

Squirt plenty of Plusgas inbetween the chrome part and the pipe and wiggle them around and tapping them from the back using a wooden block should release them.

Note, the new tips that I purchased which are original Mercedes do not appear to be anywhere near the quality of what is fitted to the car, so I have decided to keep what's on my car and polish them up instead.

Exactly........why waste money.

Exactly........why waste money.

7d59eb8b78f2baa27a235df9c5d0d97a.jpg
763b32b335769983314df6736f45ca7b.jpg

All done. Overnight in a bag of oven cleaner from Poundland followed by 15 minutes of gentle polishing with 0000 wire wool.
Very happy with the result but shame I forgot to take a photo to begin with.

Total cost £3.32

Thanks for the great advice everyone [emoji3]

In future, and assuming your Exhaust Tips are either Stainless or Rust Free Chrome, try using Wonder Wheels in a Spray Bottle to keep the Tips clean!

If Chrome and any Rust is apparent Wonder Wheels will eat the Metal good style! :doh:

This thread inspired me to do mine today. Used petrol to get the cakes on tar off then a good polish with Autosol.

Before
image-2646202832.jpg

Abcan said:
This thread inspired me to do mine today. Used petrol to get the cakes on tar off then a good polish with Autosol. Before

After

image-2384608730.jpg

Great job! Don't think AMG tips come off, believe they are welded :-(.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom