Chrome exhausts and diesels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mactech

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Porsche Macan S, BMW i3
I try to keep my cars clean, but I seem to be fighting a losing battle with the chrome exhaust trims on my ML. They were not pristine when I bought the 4month old car a year ago, and despite my efforts with everything up to and including T cut they remain shabby.
All my other diesel cars have had 'hidden' exhausts and so have not been a problem.
The exhaust on the fastest diesel....(Clarkson pause)....in the world…. had the front engine exhaust exit skilfully blending with the change of paint work from yellow to black so didn't look too bad!
Do we think chrome exhausts and diesels mix, or is it just a bad fashion statement?:dk:
Or how do others keep them clean?

Last edited:
Don't tell me - another company car? (The JCB, not the ML!)

My advice would be to either let them go matt black on their own (shouldn't take long!) or speed up the process by painting them matt black.

Then you would 'lose' them in the overall view of the back of the car. As the car is a dark colour anyway, this should not look out of place.

Just my two cents!

My advice would be to either let them go matt black on their own (shouldn't take long!) or speed up the process by painting them matt black.

Then you would 'lose' them in the overall view of the back of the car. As the car is a dark colour anyway, this should not look out of place.

Good answer!
Not the one we were looking for!
But good answer:D

I would imagine that the black deposits are just black soot or similar that is just sitting on the top of the chrome-plated surface.

Maybe some type of solvent would help to remove the build up? Carb/brake cleaner, thinners, has your wife got some nail varnish remover? ( :D )

They'll still get grubby quite quickly so I guess it'd need to be part of the regular cleaning routine.

Will

Autosol

Lynall

They'll still get grubby quite quickly so I guess it'd need to be part of the regular cleaning routine.

Will

Oh it is! I think that the pitting and discolouration happened in the few months before I owned the car, but has never improved. If I got some new trims and cared for them from new (read them bedtime stories and the like!) has anyone out there got spangly chrome after 17k miles?:dk:

The problem with T-Cut & Autosol is that they are abrasive & you are effectively rubbing the chrome away every time you use it.

Not sure if anything will keep them clean.

Russ

Chrome plated steel exhaust tips can be a bit of a PITA for that very reason.

Better to get something in mirror polished stainless steel but should be
made from T304 stainless which has up to 20% chromium and 10% nickel and so can be more expensive.

Cheaper "stainless" steels have more ferrous material and are more prone to surface staining and oxidation.

Without wanting to sound as though I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs - the chrome plating is either damaged, or has a build up sitting on top of it. I would suspect the latter as the car is so new?

If it is physically 'pitted' and damaged then nothing can or will keep it clean. If it just has a build up (which is what I would expect) it just needs the build up removed.

I had a ~ 10 year old AMG exhaust which cleaned up to an almost new look with elbow grease and the correct solvents/polishes. Looked dreadful when I first got it.

Most of the residue was a tar-like coating that looking like pitting at first. You need something like petrol, white spirit, carb cleaner etc to disolve and/or lift the tar/grease/soot. I then polished it up to perfection with a fine metal polish.

Managed great results on many similar items over the years with such methods.

Will

Chrome tips on my exhaust are fine after 78k miles. They get a simple soapy wipe every wash. Yes they are quite black after 300-400miles but this simple washes off

Chrome tips on my exhaust are fine after 78k miles. They get a simple soapy wipe every wash. Yes they are quite black after 300-400miles but this simple washes off

Thanks, that really answers my question. I suspect that mine were subject to salt/diesel in the first few months of their life and have not since recovered.
I've just got really brutal with the cleaning and can remove 90% of the pits and black with a T cut and 'wet and dry' paper mix, but I will have to finely polish the result and hope I have not gone through the chrome finish.
The diesel film wipes off all areas other than the pitted rear 'elevation' of the pipe trims, so if I get that back to a mirror finish maybe that will be as easy to clean:dk:

Give it a try

I've used it on both our cars and it works a treat, neighnbour used it on his motorbike and apparently it brought his exhaust back to life like nothing else he hs tried...

I use either Autosol or wonder wheels to clean my exposed CLS ones. I then use Muc-Off wheel sealant on them. They still black up quickly but it makes them easier to clean.

Sickening really as my wifes CLK exhausts (petrol) stay clean for month!

S

Another one for Autosol.

I don't do many miles, c. 7k a year, and wash them with the car (I use a separate wheel and exhaust sponge). I then polish them with Autosol and tissue paper maybe once a month. They still look as good as new, though I've been doing this since I had the car, so I don't know if the same would hold had I not touched them for a year.

I use Meguairs alloy wheel cleaner - not as abrasive as wonder wheels....have also used shiny sinks.

Once cleaned as Whitenemises said -- just use soapy water and a cloth...to maintain

Thanks guys for the input. I've got really angry with them now and taken them off the car.
The exit ring is heavily pitted, but the outer surface is still mint.
I must stress that this must have happened prior to my tenure :eek: and it is now obvious I am fighting a losing battle to make them look nice.
This pitting and corrosion must have occured when some MB manager had the car and it probably wasn't cleaned at all during the early months of 2008.

Now..... if people have got wheels replaced under warranty due to salt getting under paint....

The only way to make them look nice and then be able to clean them easily is to get new ones.:doh:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom