CL 500 - C 216 -

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jakdor

Car
CL500 Blue Efficiency & E320 V6 estate & Range Rover Vogue
Hello....

I'm on the verge of trading in my wonderful but elderly E320 for a 2010 CL500 (C216). Does any member have experiences with this model, good or bad, they would like to impart? And.... is it possible to upgrade the audio system? I have a penchant for serious music systems and whilst the standard version is probably ok, I want to change the head unit and upgrade the speakers.... any advice would be welcome.... Thank you

Hello....

I'm on the verge of trading in my wonderful but elderly E320 for a 2010 CL500 (C216). Does any member have experiences with this model, good or bad, they would like to impart? And.... is it possible to upgrade the audio system? I have a penchant for serious music systems and whilst the standard version is probably ok, I want to change the head unit and upgrade the speakers.... any advice would be welcome.... Thank you
I have a 216, CLs are great cars. They are totally unlike anything else. If you do a search for CL500 you will find oodles of horror stories but they mostly concern the 215. In the 216 most (not all!) of the earlier problems have been sorted.

The most expensive problems are with the suspension. On whichever car you consider, it's really important to check that the fluid has been recently changed (within the past two years). This is not listed as a service item as Mercedes doesn't think it's necessary, but I and lots of other owners can assure you that it is!

Audio - don't know about upgrades. Could be difficult as it's part of the Comand system. Also probably unnecessary as if the car you choose is fitted with the Harman Kardon upgrade you'll find the sound is first-rate.

You'll struggle to change the head unit given the level of integration. However, the likes of Audison can provide kit that hooks into the MOST loop to pick up the audio output and send it off to a processor/amps.

Another similar thread recently:

Experience of owning a CL500 (W216)

You can change the audio system but if you buy one with HK, if you are not happy with the sound, you can replace the speakers.

I have a 216, CLs are great cars. They are totally unlike anything else. If you do a search for CL500 you will find oodles of horror stories but they mostly concern the 215. In the 216 most (not all!) of the earlier problems have been sorted.

The most expensive problems are with the suspension. On whichever car you consider, it's really important to check that the fluid has been recently changed (within the past two years). This is not listed as a service item as Mercedes doesn't think it's necessary, but I and lots of other owners can assure you that it is!

Audio - don't know about upgrades. Could be difficult as it's part of the Comand system. Also probably unnecessary as if the car you choose is fitted with the Harman Kardon upgrade you'll find the sound is first-rate.

I have heard this reported but thank you for the personal experience heads-up. I'm going to buy from a dealer and will make sure that fluid change is part of the deal.

No doubt I will do some foot planting just because I can. However, I intend mainly doing long steady runs and am hoping for high 20s fuel...is this feasible or am I to expect less?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom