CL500...coilover conversions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

renault12ts

MB Club Veteran
Car
2005 W215 CL500.
Anyone done it yet?

No one.

Quite frankly, I don't think there are many ABC problems that couldn't be fixed for the price of a complete set of coilovers.

There's also the issue of not having any anti-roll bars...

Quite frankly, I don't think there are many ABC problems that couldn't be fixed for the price of a complete set of coilovers.

There's also the issue of not having any anti-roll bars...

£700 gets a complete conversion kit...once!

Lots of problems with people doing this on the American forums

I've looked on the US Forums, still not too many have done it, but usually those who have, have done so successfully I thought.

The roll bars, from the W220 can be added with no mods at the back and using the W220 lower arm at the front.

A lot of the people who have done it have complained of poor ride after... The ABC system really isn't that bad, pumps can be rebuilt for £100 if you are able to DIY. Valve blocks are easily refurbished for penny's!

A lot of the people who have done it have complained of poor ride after... The ABC system really isn't that bad, pumps can be rebuilt for £100 if you are able to DIY. Valve blocks are easily refurbished for penny's!

True, and there are plenty of videos showing how. I don't think I'd be fazed by it.

But there are also stories of burst pipes putting people in peril and leaving them stranded.

I had a burst pipe... The ABC system locks itself automatically so yes the car is like a low rider but it is driveable! I wasn't left stranded!

In fact the only time I was left stranded by the car is when the arm holding the ABC pulley onto the timing cover sheared off! The AA brought me a shorter belt to bypass the pulley and I had to drive it back with no power steering!

The pump rebuild is easy, I've done 3 now (not all for my car!).

I had a burst pipe... The ABC system locks itself automatically so yes the car is like a low rider but it is driveable! I wasn't left stranded!

In fact the only time I was left stranded by the car is when the arm holding the ABC pulley onto the timing cover sheared off! The AA brought me a shorter belt to bypass the pulley and I had to drive it back with no power steering!

The pump rebuild is easy, I've done 3 now (not all for my car!).

Thanks for your input, I was all for the Yellow Racing ones, but may hold off now.

Honestly I have a w220 with airmatic and the CL with ABC. The ABC is amazing, if you can DIY, it's actually a really easy system to look after, I'd suggest a fluid change if you don't know the history of the car.

Honestly I have a w220 with airmatic and the CL with ABC. The ABC is amazing, if you can DIY, it's actually a really easy system to look after, I'd suggest a fluid change if you don't know the history of the car.

The history is good.

For a while early on in my ownership, I always assumed I would simply rip out Airmatic and replace with COs if I had any issues.

However, for a long time now, I think if you do that to any air suspension Merc like this - you've bought the wrong car in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom