CL500 doubts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The SL400 is a lot closer to your e55 than the CL John. It still feels raw and pretty lively when it needs to be.

On that I can see where Sean is coming from, it still feels like a sports car, it seems it's that you're missing.

and of course, the SL's roof goes down .. lots of drama there :)

Personally the Granturismo build quality lets the car down in a big way. I looked at MC Stradale the other day, whist the engine was a master piece, I felt the rest of the car was nothing on the quality of the CL

Was very disappointing

John, this is what I have been saying all along. I said it to Lee also. My friend is a car dealer and had the Granturismo in the showroom. It was a shockingly poorly made car. Forget the Ferrari engine, it felt like it would fall apart, and it was only a year old.

I know you guys like it but, my 40/50/70k would never go there.

Gents,

I look at the Granturismo as a factory built kit car...and no worse than other Ferrari, Lambo type vehicles...build quality questionable, yes, but what you get back is the daily ''smile'' factor, which i think John misses from his E55K...in terms of engineering, interior deign, materials, build quality etc quite a massive differential, if that is a major factor then look elsewhere and go German imho...

Gents,

I look at the Granturismo as a factory built kit car...and no worse than other Ferrari, Lambo type vehicles...build quality questionable, yes, but what you get back is the daily ''smile'' factor, which i think John misses from his E55K...in terms of engineering, interior deign, materials, build quality etc quite a massive differential, if that is a major factor then look elsewhere and go German imho...

So like a Big Fiat? :D

Typical thread timing.....

I just put a deposit on a CL500 4.7TT on Friday evening. Due to collect later this week.

I must admit the total refinement/lack of character was the only concern. I tested an 07 5.5 three years ago and it failed to tempt me from my CLS.

However with the twin turbo and 435 BHP, plus this one is fully loaded, it seemed a no brainier for 20% of its purchase price when new!

In 11 months I'll either be keen to shift it before the warranty expires and return to 2 litre mediocrity, or wonder why it took me so long to go V8.

Still how could I resist those soft close doors, split screen TV, and cooled seats.

I'm not 100% yet and I wouldn't to waste your time until I am mate...

Mine (2013/63 plate) was £35k in August (MB Main Dealer) - I'd be looking to see what offers I got - but with the invoice I saw showing £96,000, I hear you on the value. It's a lot of car for the money - if you can live with serenity and waft. Saying that, when you fire it up, there is rumble and the thing does shift (still 0 - 62 in 4.9s is not too shabby). More so if you open the windows. It should be louder but then it has double-glazing which kind of defies the point (and I don't really want to mod it!). I don't really use the pace much at all and even then not all of it. I think I've floored it once to see... but that was the aim.

I really think the Maser would hit the spot John, theatre on offer every day:D, don't think you would get bored with this:thumb:

[YOUTUBE]bct9Swhm6P4[/YOUTUBE]

You got it! I've watched so many of the clips - particularly as it potters round buildings. The reverb of that engine sound is sublime. It's honestly the only "supercar" I would want unless I was wiping my ass on 50s.

Then the look of it. There's nothing I don't like on it. It's a piece of perfection. My view is unchanged since I first saw one in the late noughties.

Mind you, I thought that about the current 6 series BMW and that turned out to be as exciting as a wet fart to drive.

John, this is what I have been saying all along. I said it to Lee also. My friend is a car dealer and had the Granturismo in the showroom. It was a shockingly poorly made car. Forget the Ferrari engine, it felt like it would fall apart, and it was only a year old.

I know you guys like it but, my 40/50/70k would never go there.

I've already driven a 4.2 in April this year. Whilst I know it isn't on a par with the Germans, the block and ZF auto are strong. It's the Masser ancillaries that let it down and some of those aren't cheap. I spoke to an inde back in April and he pretty much echo'd that.

He did say when they weren't right, they were a PITA though which didn't really inspire me... :crazy: I already know the Skyhook suspenion and brakes are eye-watering to replace - not to mention an issue with the radio which means replacement at £4k (I wonder if it could be repaired - although I'd live without it with that exhaust note. :D).

That said, if you spend your life seeing knackered Massers, but never see the many examples out there driving without problems, you could argue your perception is likely to be a little skewed?

I'm not willing to challenge anyone's perception in this department but sometimes a car for the heart is nothing to do with sensible and reliable - after all, I have that now!

This wouldn't be my only car though - I intend to commandeer the other half's Joke as a second car (subject to replacing it with a newer one of course).

To be honest, I had concerns before taking on the E55K. It wasn't the cheapest car I ever owned, from MB's "crap reliability" era, but bang for buck - it's way ahead of many of it's peers I would venture.

I have to ask myself - would I regret buying it and spending a few benjamins on it more than never doing it at all.

And their John lies the dilemma...however i see you in one in the new year, the CL will sell easy come April/May...you do only live once, we think:rolleyes::D

I have to ask myself - would I regret buying it and spending a few benjamins on it more than never doing it at all.

First Impressions

Typical thread timing.....

I just put a deposit on a CL500 4.7TT on Friday evening. Due to collect later this week.

I must admit the total refinement/lack of character was the only concern. I tested an 07 5.5 three years ago and it failed to tempt me from my CLS.

However with the twin turbo and 435 BHP, plus this one is fully loaded, it seemed a no brainier for 20% of its purchase price when new!

In 11 months I'll either be keen to shift it before the warranty expires and return to 2 litre mediocrity, or wonder why it took me so long to go V8.

Still how could I resist those soft close doors, split screen TV, and cooled seats.

So I finally collected my 'new' CL500 on Monday, after the dealer let me down with prep for Friday, although to be fair, they did lend me a new AMG C43 for the weekend! (nice car, but oh boy do the tyres scrub badly on full lock, just like the GLC's - and your left leg is shoved far too far to the right due to 4WD gearbox I suspect)

The CL500 was well prep'd in the end, and looks amazing for 6 years old/55K. I'd have preferred a lighter leather, but at least the black stuff does keep well, and I'm pleased it has black ash rather than some hideous walnut trim/steering wheel.

It's certainly a big bus, and feels just like an S Class to drive, by comparison the CLS was a sports car. Tripping down the back roads in the dark this morning, it was a little scary when other cars approached, due to its width, but I guess I'll get used to this.

The only things I've spotted so far are:-

A feeling around my right ear that either wind or road noise is a little higher than it should be. The rest of the car is so quiet that it seems a little odd, like maybe a door seal has failed, though they all look ok. Is this a normal feature of the CL?

I can convince myself that there's a slight vibration from the wheel between 70 and 75, very slight, and similar to the lane guidance warning vibration. Maybe to be expected after 6 years, or room for a wheel balance job. It's very slight so I'll probably see how it feels after a week or two.

I did hear a squeaky rattle that seemed to come from the passenger seat once or twice when at slow speed on bumpy side roads.

Other than the above, all seems 100% so far.

If I was expecting a coupe that had more direct steering, a sporty ride, a V8 tone, and that instant kick from the throttle, then I would be a little disappointed. If I take it as an S Class with a bit more style and only 2 doors, then it ticks all the boxes.

Well, I went from a CL63 into the E63 S for the reasons you gave.

It was a very very difficult choice to be honest.

At the dealership I parked the E63 S next to the CL63 so I could compare.
CL beautiful, style and respect, stunning lines, coupe, Armchair on wheels..
E63 S blended muscle car

I spent ages making my mind up.. over an hour, pacing around and chin rubbing..

When I used to go in the dealership and they noted you had a CL63 (Pretty much flagship) Mercedes, you got the special treatment..
The E was only really respected by the technicians who "Knew" what it was.
The reception staff had no clue other than it was an "E" Class.

Do I miss the CL.. hell yeah.
Would I swap it back from the E63.. hell no..

The E63 S does everything you are hankering for I think (well it did for me)
It gives you drama, noise and bullet performance..

It is exclusive on the road. (Never seen another)
Blisteringly quick (if you want), well it is almost 600 Bhp standard!
Road holding to match (As the S has the upgraded suspension unlike normal E63's)
Noise like an Earth Quake.
And all with 5 seats, and sensible service costs.

Find one if you can and go for a test drive. :thumb:

The CL500 was well prep'd in the end, and looks amazing for 6 years old/55K. I'd have preferred a lighter leather, but at least the black stuff does keep well, and I'm pleased it has black ash rather than some hideous walnut trim/steering wheel.

It's certainly a big bus, and feels just like an S Class to drive, by comparison the CLS was a sports car. Tripping down the back roads in the dark this morning, it was a little scary when other cars approached, due to its width, but I guess I'll get used to this.

The only things I've spotted so far are:-

A feeling around my right ear that either wind or road noise is a little higher than it should be. The rest of the car is so quiet that it seems a little odd, like maybe a door seal has failed, though they all look ok. Is this a normal feature of the CL?

I can convince myself that there's a slight vibration from the wheel between 70 and 75, very slight, and similar to the lane guidance warning vibration. Maybe to be expected after 6 years, or room for a wheel balance job. It's very slight so I'll probably see how it feels after a week or two.

I did hear a squeaky rattle that seemed to come from the passenger seat once or twice when at slow speed on bumpy side roads.

Other than the above, all seems 100% so far.

If I was expecting a coupe that had more direct steering, a sporty ride, a V8 tone, and that instant kick from the throttle, then I would be a little disappointed. If I take it as an S Class with a bit more style and only 2 doors, then it ticks all the boxes.

Mine has the same black ash wood - I like it and it goes well with a car like this. After looking at carbon fibre effect wrap in my previous E55, I have had enough of it for the time being!

It does feel the same to drive as an S - I drove a facelift S500 back at the beginning of the year with a similar spec. to mine albeit on a 10 plate.

When I've stretched it's legs a little - I am surprised how agile it feels although you can tell it is no AMG or sports car, but then this car is not about all that. For what it is - it does the best of both worlds well.

In answer to your points - I don't get any wind or road noise anywhere in the cabin. I would be suspecting a seal too. Do both of your rear windows do a small dance when you open and close your main windows - to ensure a fully sealed fit?

I don't get any squeaks but with the amount of things in these cars - I suppose it is inevitable you might get some squeaks occasionally.

Well, I went from a CL63 into the E63 S for the reasons you gave.

It was a very very difficult choice to be honest.

At the dealership I parked the E63 S next to the CL63 so I could compare.
CL beautiful, style and respect, stunning lines, coupe, Armchair on wheels..
E63 S blended muscle car

I spent ages making my mind up.. over an hour, pacing around and chin rubbing..

When I used to go in the dealership and they noted you had a CL63 (Pretty much flagship) Mercedes, you got the special treatment..
The E was only really respected by the technicians who "Knew" what it was.
The reception staff had no clue other than it was an "E" Class.

Do I miss the CL.. hell yeah.
Would I swap it back from the E63.. hell no..

The E63 S does everything you are hankering for I think (well it did for me)
It gives you drama, noise and bullet performance..

It is exclusive on the road. (Never seen another)
Blisteringly quick (if you want), well it is almost 600 Bhp standard!
Road holding to match (As the S has the upgraded suspension unlike normal E63's)
Noise like an Earth Quake.
And all with 5 seats, and sensible service costs.

Find one if you can and go for a test drive. :thumb:

I think I am on the road to moving the car on now but it's been much too-ing and fro-ing if I am honest.

I imagine it is very much like I feel about Kelly Brook - I love the looks but once the novelty has worn off - I imagine I would get bored with the lack of excitement in all other respects...

I get to the stage where I've decided to sell, then I see the car again and it is truly stunning. Then I drive it and it's a superb waft with more pace you could ever need. But it does those things well but the fun side is seriously lacking.

I know what you mean about the reaction thing at the dealer and mine is not even flagship. I do feel like a very valued customer, maybe only because of the car I drive or because the dealer I have gone to for warranty work (MB Tonbridge because I once travelled well out of my way to get there to sort a missing locking wheel bolt on the E55 and they were excellent) are a cut above. However, I am just a regular bloke who loves interesting cars which I work my rse off to buy though so I don't know if that image is "for me"!

Lots of people in that dealership, as well as others, have commented on how stunning the car is and how great it is. Whereas with the interest I got in the E55K, I was able to enthuse with them about the car - I can't do it on the CL. It just doesn't ignite a spark in me sadly - even though I was quite excited about it when I looked at it with a view to buy!

I have looked at E63s if I am honest. Partly because the specification of non-AMG petrols is paltry and I know I was "at home" in the E55K. I am thinking if I did go for one, then not modifying it at all would be the best way to keep my bad behaviour in check!

This is my car:

johneboy-albums-cl500-picture10322-1.jpg

johneboy-albums-cl500-picture10319-2.jpg

johneboy-albums-cl500-picture10320-3.jpg

johneboy-albums-cl500-picture10321-4.jpg

johneboy-albums-cl500-picture10316-5.jpg

johneboy-albums-cl500-picture10317-6.jpg

johneboy-albums-cl500-picture10318-7.jpg

johneboy-albums-cl500-picture10315-8.jpg

johneboy-albums-cl500-picture10313-9.jpg

johneboy-albums-cl500-picture10314-10.jpg

You've got an inner hooligan that needs feeding now and again John, just admit it.

If you do go down the Maserati route be prepared for the level of attention it brings, from young to old everyone loves it, I've really grown to love mine and it'll kill me selling it.

You haven't got the performance of the E55 out of your system yet John, and I'd say you got the CL 5 years too early.

Go and get an E63 Biturbo, leave it stock, and enjoy motoring again.

You've got an inner hooligan that needs feeding now and again John, just admit it.

If you do go down the Maserati route be prepared for the level of attention it brings, from young to old everyone loves it, I've really grown to love mine and it'll kill me selling it.

Yes, that sounds like it could be what is going on. I think it was more of a case of being a bit lost actually rather than pretending though...

A lot of times when I drive the CL to work and home enjoying it and I can hear myself asking myself why I even need to change it... Other times I have to prop my face up with a stick of wood to stop myself dying of boredom. Very odd.

It's not necessarily performance either (a 4.7S GT is hardly setting the world on fire in the performance department and is on a par with the CL actually).

I have concerns the E63 won't really cut it for me any more too actually although it is a bolark-grabber!

I am not going to rush into a solution this time - indeed I will be waiting until well into next year to see what happens with Mrs JB's temporary contract anyways.

I even said to the Mrs I would buy a beater for now and then decide - and then rushed into buying the CL... :rolleyes: Should have listened to myself although I did want to do the S class thing at least once so I can tick the box.

I will get the CL listed shortly to see if there is any interest and see how it goes.

It's probably like a drug - you can't just stop something dead and expect to change overnight...

I've never really looked in any depth into things like this before - I've just carried on buying the fastest car I could afford within reason and whilst not sacrificing comfort.

What's changed is my conscience I think and that has totally derailed my normal thought processes.

Some did warn but of course I knew better.

Except I didn't and was trying to fool myself.

First world problems eh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom