1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

CL500 Maintenance / Preventative Maintenance

Discussion in 'Parts, Maintenance & Servicing' started by Chris Johnston, Oct 12, 2017 at 4:05 PM.

1. Chris Johnston

Chris Johnston New Member

Car:
    2005 Mercedes CL500
    Any fellow C215 CL500 owners out there with advice or little tips in keeping one of these cars running perfect?

2. Codger49

Codger49 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W209 CLK500, CLK280; W168 A190; E46 325i
    Well, the snide response would be to be in possesion of deep pockets.

More seriously, if I were maintaining a 12 year old CL, I would use the forum's often recommended indy's e.g. PCS in Horndean or Wayne Gates in Harrow, or guys who really know their Mercedes such as Philip Tutt of WelwynMerx or Steve Garlick of Stevensons in Maidstone.

I would also ensure they have the regular servicing business from me to keep them 'onside' and feeling responsible for the car's well being.

3. clk320x

clk320x Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK320 W209, AMG styling, Facelifted Dash, 18" AMG wheels, Pioneer SPH-DA120 App Radio
    - Make sure all the maintenance is up to date.
    - Get ATF changed if it hasn't been done in last 36k (if you have the 722.6 5 speed) , change the pilot bushing at the same time. Make sure all the fluid is changed including that in the torque converter.
    - Check the rocker cover gaskets are leak free as this is a common failure and makes a mess
    - check the rear brake pipes are sufficiently oiled to protect them from corrosion as often these corrode and cost £500 to resolve afterwards
    - no harm in changing all the filters etc as soon as you receive the car anyway they are all pretty ****ing cheap from MB

4. alabbasi

alabbasi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

The M113 is a pretty robust engine provided that you stay on top of oil changes and use the fleece filter. I usually go 6000 miles between oil changes and use Mobil1.

Cam covers can leak and spark plugs need changing every 100k miles.

ABC suspension is going to be the next big expense. If a hose blows, find a hydraulic shop to fix the hose which will be cheaper than buying a new one from a dealer. Also replace the pulsation damper which probably failed and caused the hose to fail.

Makes sure you flush the ABC fluid at regular intervals and replace the filter.

Since buying my S55, which has 140k miles I"ve had to replace one blown ABC hose, flush the system and replace all four accumulators. My CL65 only has 34000 miles and has not needed anything.... yet.