Cl500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lexusking

Car
R129 SL600 , 280SL
I thought I would record the trials and tribulations of buying a car at auction unseen and the enjoyment or pain of getting the car right.

Last week I bought from Brightwells modern classics sale a 89000 CL500 for £2100 plus premium. I did not go and see the car but spoke to Brightwells who verbally did a walk around the car and discussed the paperwork.

I am now on my way by train to Leominster to collect the car.

I own a 1996 Sl600 which I bought when it was 18 months old from an MB dealer so know something about keeping an older car on the road. I also have a 1969 Pagoda 280SL.

I gave bought this CL500 as a daily driver so it remains to be seen what needs to be done to make it that.

Pictures coming later

From the description I'm presuming it's a W215, you're a brave man buying one sight unseen!

Just checked the auction catalogue, it's a 140 from 1998. Much safer ground :thumb:

Last edited:
Yes it would have helped if I had given the year.

Its a C140 1998 CL500 Silver / Black AMG 18" Alloys.

I have a 133 mile drive to get home so will know how good it is by the end of that.

And the inevitable list of faults of course

Internet is ace on this train!

Trip back to London perfect. Car started, stopped and drove correctly. Last had a proper service a year ago. Silent on the motorway and tight around the bends, looking at the stack of invoice various money has been spent on bushes, suspension, brakes, ect over the last 3 or 4 years. Has FSH since 2002.

It is a light restoration car which I will do because it drives so well, and that interior is so amazing.

I won't list what works as I have been through everything and most of its does - 100%. I'll list what needs doing.

Priority
Oil change and filter
Fuel filter
Plugs
Transmission oil and filter
Brake fluid

Less Priority
Seat belt butler drivers side only comes out halfway
Soft close doors x 2

Least Priority
Wheels refurbish
Reseat boot lid and sort soft close
Front headlight offside cracked (works fine) and need new wiper motor
2x Front wings either repair (correctly) or replace
Pain flat on Boot lid, top and bonnet and chip on bonnet
Underside strip and waxoyle

So a few bits to do, nothing frightening, but I can make it into an excellent CL500 worth keeping

I am not a pro at this BTW - I work with computers but love properly built cars. So if anyone has any suggestions that are a must do on these that I am missing please chip in. I want the car to be right.

Thanks

Photos....

We'll enjoy this thread. (What's the English for Schadenfreude?)

All CL's are great cars. Gloriously built, but a trifle ignored because of mpg.

But please load a photo when you can. It adds so much interest to all the text.

Photos enc

Attachments

• tn_DSC_0512_12.jpg
    tn_DSC_0512_12.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 76
  • tn_DSC_0508_15.jpg
    tn_DSC_0508_15.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 78
  • tn_DSC_0507_11.jpg
    tn_DSC_0507_11.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 69
2nd lot

No warning lights

No low fluids

Aircon icy

Brakes stop from 100 in a straight line!

Silent at 80

No clunks round tight corners and potholes

4x new tyres in the last year - so lots of good stuff

Plenty to put right though - nice unbuggered around with base car to work on

Overall I am happy so far.......

Attachments

• tn_DSC_0514_11.jpg
    tn_DSC_0514_11.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 60
  • tn_DSC_0522_4.jpg
    tn_DSC_0522_4.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 46
  • tn_DSC_0496_14.jpg
    tn_DSC_0496_14.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 55
Earlier post should read paint flat and additionally repair to boot lock which works perfectly but some one has forced it open or closed with the soft close - i presume it did not work at some stage. So lockable but unsightly.

Congratulations, looks as if you got a great car

Full service being done today with Plugs and Transmission fluid

Softclose has started to work on both front doors with some WD40 - Love it.....

Sourced a new hood and boot in the same colour so respray could be avoided - going to look at them on Saturday.

Sourced 2x new front wings plus headlight plus wiper motor but the wings will need respraying - it will be fun getting it all to match so it does not look harlequin

So making quick progress - I thought this would take me a month - it may be finished in a couple of weeks. That's down to how well built the car was in the first place of course - and what a car.....

Such a cool car and a brave man buying unseen. From the looks of it though it looks very nice.

Enjoy :)

Well 10 months later...

Finally have taken the plunge and after using it for a few months last year have had the bodywork done.

Wings taken off and metal cut in and finished correctly

Front bumper removed and stitched (crack) and finished in correct matt(er) paint

Bonnet stripped and redone

Rest buffed by the bodyshop

Wheels sent to Lepsons and as new

It is now very very good.

Pics to follow this week

List of outstanding things: (does any one have a car on here that does not need something doing to it in an ideal world?)

MAF sensor - I put on a FEBI and not happy with it, need a Bosch

2x sensors for the front bumper parking sensors

Thats it

Another routine service due and will detail the interior - one of the seat electric motors is not working so few hours on that

Apart form that I have a finished classic CL which so far has cost me with the buy price £4400. More costs to come as above but it drives like a car worth 6 times that all day long. And I love the look.

Will get photos up and advise on how it works as a daily driver next month.

Oh and looking at the first list all the headlights, wiper motors etc all done last year so the little repairs all finished.

They don't build them like that any more, the interior has bourne the miles well.

Sounds like you got a bargain, very jealous, fabulous looks I agree but I am biased.

I just love driving mine, the comfort, the looks, the power, I do not care about fuel it is worth it.

Hope it turns out to be reliable and gives you a lot of pleasure, I am sure it will :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom