Cl500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cooks

Car
W124 Coupe,TREK Bike
Hi i have friend with a CL500 battery is dead and he cant get into the car,only one key..what options does he have.

Open the car with the bladed key (it pops out of the remote fob)

If the boot won't open use the door lock and open the bonnet. There should be a +ve terminal under the bonnet somewhere to feed power into so he can operate the central locking.

What year is his car?

Been there.
Done that...

On my CL500 ( C215, M/Y 2000 ) there was no Batt+ connection in the engine compartment.
And of course - the rear boot lid - did not open since the mechanical lock (Huf) was totally corroded and stuck. Common problem since no-one ever use that lock.

Instead, Open the driver door using the mechanical key, then open the passenger door. Under the glove compartment, remove the mat and the aluminium plate protection plate. There you will find a Bat+ connection.

Once a charger has been connected and the voltage is on the way up, the remote key or the switch on the driver side door can be used to gain access to the boot.

The Huf boot lid lock gets corroded since there is often a water leak from the 3rd break light.

One way to check for this is if the rear plate lights are black/brown from galvanic corrosion caused by water ingress.

Fixing this requires it to be taken out, sprayed with conformal coating in order to protect the LED's from galvanic corrosion. Then, the gasket may need replacement, OR the the gap may be filled using floating silicone. I hesitated to do this, since silicone is aggresseive against the lacquer, but there was no reaction, and the leak was fixed.

The Huf lock mechanism can sometimes be repaired. This requires disassembling it completely (while memorizing how the lock elements are configured).

sorry guys he has no bladed key aswell..

As above - if he hasn't got a bladed key he's going to have to either find a positive connection underneath or break into the car.

Should be able to order a replacement bladed key from the dealers, but they're going to want to see the car before releasing the key - and will obviously take a few days.

I had similar problem. I removed the rear number plate and the plate holder. you can access the boot lock release from there. It's a bit fiddly but it worked for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom