CL55 or C55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigdrew

Car
Ml350 bluetec clk220 CDi w209 amg styling 18in amg wheels cla 220cdi amg sport c class w205 amg line
Hi looking for some information hopefully you guys
Can help I am thinking of replacing my CLK for something
Else I was looking at a CL55 or a C55 is there any problems I
Should be looking out for with any of these cars and which one
Would be the best to buy

Big difference in the size alone between a CL and C class. With the documented problems on both UK forums that ABC suspension gives would make me give the CL a wide berth.
Undoubtably a nicer car all round, its the equivalent of a 2 door S class.

The C55 to me is a far better bet, less available however and finding a good one not so easy. A great engine,but smaller than a CLK i believe, and you'll need a budget of over £7k to get a decent one.

As you have a CLK, have you considered a W211 E55? Similar in size to your current CLK, supercharged engine instead of the above n/a 55 models and can be found for similar prices to the C55.
The SBC pump and airmatic struts are the expensive consumables on the E55, but those apart, I think a better bet than either of the above. Budget on £8k + for a reasonable example.

Erm geed, a CLK is a 2 door C class, how is it comparable in size to the Boat that's the E class? :thumb:

Massive difference in running costs between a CL55 and C55 and size.

CL is supercharged, 2 tonne uberbarge on hydraulic suspension.

Would be the best to buy

Depending on your budget how about a CLK63 or the cheaper CLK55.

Cl55 but factor 2k to have new air suspension system fitted or put it on springs.

ill seen cl55s go for even 4k bargains, but bills can wrack up as AMGeed said, unless you can do most of the work yourself

Erm geed, a CLK is a 2 door C class, how is it comparable in size to the Boat that's the E class? :thumb:

CLK looks the same size to me as an E. Doesn't matter anyway. Why are you calling an E class a boat?
If you are doing comparisons, a C is a tender, an E is a boat and a CL is a ship.;)

Not all CL's are supercharged either. Pre 2003/4 they n/a

A clk isn't much smaller than an e class (7 inches shorter I believe)

A CL is on another level to a C class! It's essentially an s class coupe.

Cl55 but factor 2k to have new air suspension system fitted or put it on springs.

ill seen cl55s go for even 4k bargains, but bills can wrack up as AMGeed said, unless you can do most of the work yourself

The £4K ones are the pre facelift NA... ABC isn't as scary to work with as it's made out to be!

Would be the best to buy

Cl issues:
ABC suspension
Instrument cluster
Every control module/anything electronic on the car
Door wiring
PSE pumps (more than 1)
Rust
Windows delaminate

That being said, when they work, they are AMAZING! I used to change my car after a maximum of a year but kept my CL55 for six and a half - it was only replaced with an S55 as the CL only has two rear seats and I have three kids! You do really have to love a CL if you get one though as it will go wrong and if you aren't a bit handy with the spanners it will cost a fair amount to fix just about anything on it.

A clk isn't much smaller than an e class (7 inches shorter I believe)

A CL is on another level to a C class! It's essentially an s class coupe.

So by that reasoning a E class isn't much smaller than a S class?

CLK63's are very rare and when advertised people want £20k plus....a lot of money for what is an old car now.

Would be the best to buy
I have had my 2006 C55 AMG Wagon since Christmas (my only car) and use it every day on my 66 mile commute to work it averages 24 Mpg , It has 120000 miles on the clock and feels as tight as a drum.

Size wise , I park next to a E class saloon at work sometimes and my car appears to be a few inches shorter. I can't comment on a CL as C55 was my always my 'target' car because of its relative simplicity when compared with other V8 AMG Mercs. Less to go wrong.

PM me if you need more thoughts on C55 ownership...unbiased of course !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom