CL63 Demo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guy

Car
Maserati Quattroporte : Brabus A200CDi D3 : E300TDT
I was lucky enough to have this demonstrator for 24 hours...

63hwms0.jpg

It's a wonderful car to drive - the only disappointment in the 24 hours was taking it back to the dealership.

The performance is awesome; the new engine and gearbox work brilliantly - the seamless acceleration goes on and on until your licence combusts.
Tilting the sunroof so you can hear the exhaust, and driving through a long tunnel [like the one under the runway at Manchester Airport - kept going back!] is like listening to your favourite music.
The steering feel is better than in any Merc I've ever driven.
The brakes take a bit of getting used to, in that they are over-assisted, so that the first time you use them your eyeballs almost leave their sockets - but they are hugely effective once you have the knack.

The feel good factor on getting in is huge.
The new Comand i-Drive type controller is quite intuitive to use, but not so easy that you can play with it on your first drive in a £100k + car... I nearly kerbed it by trying to change from FM to Radio 5 on AM!
There are so many toys and driving aids, I think that they are almost a distraction until you are used to them.

As a man who has driven saloons and estate cars for years, I loved being behind the wheel of something that looked so great.
In the 'tin' it looks quite 'animal', while still being [to my eyes] graceful in profile.

:D Loved it.

:mad: Definitely can't afford it... :mad:

Amazing car I saw a CL500 in the flesh last week loved it, how did you manage to get that for 24 hours? :devil:

Amazing car I saw a CL500 in the flesh last week loved it, how did you manage to get that for 24 hours? :devil:

Pure good luck - They'd rung to invite me to a 4matic driving day at Oulton Park, but the invitation didn't arrive, so I went to ask...Sales Manager came out to ask what car I had been hoping to drive, I said ML63.

10 minutes later I was in an ML63, but it was booked out to someone else later, so only got an hour or so...when we got back the CL63 had been returned...he told me it was free for 24 hours so I jumped at the chance.. who wouldn't? :bannana:

nice :) looks good

I was lucky enough to have this demonstrator for 24 hours...
Tilting the sunroof so you can hear the exhaust, and driving through a long tunnel [like the one under the runway at Manchester Airport - kept going back!] is like listening to your favourite music.
Hi Guy,
Could you tell me how the engine noise compared to your 55AMG please?

What about a nice E63 estate?

Regards
John

I'd have tried the simple line after 24 hours...."you won't believe this...it's been stolen..mmm ah ha..soz...bye then"

Then hide it :devil:

Hi Guy,
Could you tell me how the engine noise compared to your 55AMG please?

What about a nice E63 estate?

Regards
John

Hi John,

Engine noise is definitely different; the 63 seems to have more of a 'rasp' where the 55 burbled and sometimes bellowed. It still has the V8 'throb' going on underneath, but it sounds and feels like what it is - a more highly tuned engine.

I'm actually undecided about that engine [the 63] in an E estate...I haven't driven one, but the 63 definitely lacks some of the massive torque of the Kompressor engine. It may also be due in part to the new 7 speed gearbox.
After 3 years of being able to rumble the Estate across country waiting for a chance to pass something, I got used to just squeezing progressively on the throttle, and the torque would catapult you by with perhaps one downshift, sometimes without...you could sit in 3rd and scream past, but it was only a little faster and much less smooth for passengers.

I'm not suggesting the 63 is worse, or slower, it's neither...it's just different, and it definitely suited the CL wonderfully.

I have to think hard about how to replace the 55 this weekend as it is definitely going this summer :mad: but I have not yet definitely decided what I will buy next.

Sadly, it won't be a CL63. It's between 2 cars, and one is not a Merc...I've promised to let them know by Monday. :confused:

Guy the Potential Defector

[after the style of, and with apologies to - John] :p

Extremely lucky man...Shame about you having to get rid of the E55 Estate too; Brilliantly versatile car, load lugger one minute, Concorde with a load of passengers and luggage the next!

:DHi Guy,
Don't do it!

Our neighbour has recently purchased a BMW 535 estate, he describes it as smaller and quite nippy when compared to his previous 211 320CDI. Have you ever considered a diesel?

The 55 Kompressor is an excellent engine, but variety is the spice of life, you will always have the memories and the huge :D mega grin factor and can always come back to the fold.

Regards
John

Hi John,

Not a BMW, and not an estate - I'm having a change - but we are hanging on to the 300Turbodiesel estate for another 12 months, so we can ferry my daughter's vast wardrobe of clothes :crazy: to and from Nottingham University for her last year there.

I'm getting a petrol saloon...:confused: but am still not 100% sure what to get.

Regards,

Guy

You want a petrol saloon, V8 rumble and lots of forced induction levels of torque..........hmm, well it has to be me favourite motor to suggest, probably becuase I would really like one myself....you have to try an Audi RS6.

Given your spec , id be very tempted with a bentley GT coupe
Me thinks the answer is in Guy's reply to my first post :devil: Now what is not my favourite saloon? :devil: :mad: :mad:

[after the style of, and with apologies to - John]
tongue.gif

If it has nice badging (petrol) then all is forgiven. :) :) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Incidentally I don't like the styling of the Bentley GT either :eek: :eek:

John the observer

Between a rock and a hard place, when I should be enjoying making the choice...:confused:

CLS 63 v Maserati QP Sport.

I've loved my AMG's, but.... I'm not quite sure what to do - nearly but not quite! :rolleyes:

Between a rock and a hard place, when I should be enjoying making the choice...:confused:

I've loved my AMG's, but.... I'm not quite sure what to do - nearly but not quite! :rolleyes:
:D :D Now there's a surprise :devil:

Go for what you really like. I guess you'll only be keeping it for the usual three years?

I'm bias and the Maserati does look nice. Will they allow you to have the use of a demonstrator for the same 24hrs and have you a particular vehicle in mind?

Good luck with the decision
John

The Maserati QP is a beautiful car and very rare. Have they solved the reliability issues?

From a looks point of view IMHO the CLS is not in the same league but it's a great car and will probably hold its value much better than the Maserati. Still, very few people invest money in cars hoping to make a profit.:)

Was in a QP sport last week. Lovely interiors and i really like the cars. But im not sure if id sink £85k into something Italian. There is always this thing in my head that says noooooooo , but than again its a lovely car :)

You looked at an M6? or possibly a used Lambo Gillardo for that price , im sure they are kicking about the 80k mark too. Now thats a car to make you smile.

Guy - you lucky thing .. I need some luck like that !!

CLS 63 - no question ! (But I do see your dilemma !!). The Fuzzer speaks wise words, and has probably not helped you at all now !!

Black CL63 passed me at great velocity on the A406 this afternoon .... mmmm.. nice noise ! had to open the windows :D

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom