Classic 1956 Mercedes 190 SL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know these are desirable but is there even £3K worth of parts there?

The buyer will need a truck with a HIAB and the car will fall to bits as it is lifted. There is NOTHING usable made of steel of the chassis and bodywork by the looks of it.

I wonder where the buyer got his valuation from? "Overwhelming amount of interest and countless questions"; most of them, I suspect, along the lines of 'will you take a tenner for it?' or 'are you mad?'.

God only knows what it is actually worth as it stands, but I dare say somebody will see a profit in it and take it on. I'd have thought that if you could afford to restore it, you could afford to buy a good one, though. I'm watching it out of interest...

Last edited:
I work in Amersham, part of me is tempted to go view it :p

First I checked photos on my mobile, then I looked into the same on 19" monitor and finally on 42" TV and I still can't see why it's worth 3k.

Hey Jay that's a project and a half even for you
would love to see it restored but I think its past that stage, as said above will fall apart when moved.

what I don't get is how the HELL did they let it get to such a state! and why on earth would you !

Raj

Buy it and get the wife/son/whoever to badger Car SOS to take it on ;)

I wouldn't do that, it stands a better chance of getting an legitimate MoT as it is than by letting them loose on it.

(The joys of insider knowledge)

Last edited:
A reliable acquaintance of mine was asked to help out on one the series, and ended up quitting after his reservations on the quality of some of the work were ignored. Things were being bodged and corners cut to meet production deadlines, meaning that in some cases the subsequent MoT wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

Obviously there's a certain amount of artistic licence, for example a part they "found" on eBay was actually one said acquaintance phoned me up to identify, and I subsequently located for them through my own contacts. The Willys Jeep in the first series was definitely not all it appeared to be either, but that was before the accident and subsequent featuring on the programme.

Last edited:
If you know these cars then yes, it is worth that in parts.

The bonnet and boot lid are both aluminium and there are plenty of other parts which are salvageable if you are doing a restoration and simply don't have them.

sold

Brave man spends £3500 on that.

What's more sickening is the son selling it let his dad leave it there for 35 years!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom