clk 200 2005 moving about

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pcthrillrider

Car
2017 C220 CDI 4MATIC AMG LINE PREMIUM
hi all when I hit a bump the car seems to move side to side not a nice feeling at 70mph! it seems to be from the rear of car, when I go over sleeping old bill the left suspension makes a noise like a creak
any idea's?

Yes; worn bushes. They degrade with age. Take a pry bar (or ask someone else) and see what is moving more than it ought to.

I think they're called rear trunion joint bushes? if it's not that, it's the rear shocks.
Bushes are about £68 + vat + fitting

The lower hub bushes? Yes they will also creak!
Best to get it checked over I would say. The shocks wouldn't really cause the rear to skip about

well i had it serviced at mercedes today they say all the bushes are ok and the clk do do that!

well i had it serviced at mercedes today they say all the bushes are ok and the clk do do that!

Mine doesn't :D They are known for being solid as a rock with no sideways movement so something is up of its moving and my moneys on the bushes

Check for a broken rear spring. It's not easy to see, easier to feel.

The bottom few centimetres break off and make all sorts of strange intermittent noises. Get underneath, remove the plastic cover from the lower arm by pulling (it may have two small bolts holding it in addition to the lugs) and put your finger in the hole. Follow the spring coil all the way to the bottom, making sure it's continuous.

You can see the shaped well on the spring cup, the end of the spring should butt up against it.

Be careful while tracing its path. If it has broken there may be a sharp edge waiting to slice open your finger.

hi all when I hit a bump the car seems to move side to side not a nice feeling at 70mph! it seems to be from the rear of car, when I go over sleeping old bill the left suspension makes a noise like a creak
any idea's?

I had exactly the same problem on my CLK. Took it to Olly and he diagnosed trunnions. All other bushes etc checked out ok. Car now drives completely differently, and more to the point, feels safe again.

Neil

I had exactly the same problem on my CLK. Took it to Olly and he diagnosed trunnions. All other bushes etc checked out ok. Car now drives completely differently, and more to the point, feels safe again.

Neil

Yes, trunnion bushes. like I said back in March... lol :fail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom