CLK 220 Cdi Milage and Performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

travelininstyle

Car
C-Class Sports Coupe AMG 220 Cdi
Hello all - I am thinking of trading up my C180K now it has come to the end of the finance.I have coveted a CLK and particularly a CLK220 Cdi - can any members,whom own one or have a CLK could give me an idea of what mileage I can expect from a diesel from an 09 plate - combined/motorway etc and if there is anything niggly I should look out for ? - thanks in anticipation.

I had an E220cdi and would see mid 40s to the gallon. Combined I would realistically aim for 42mpg and motorway almost 50mpg.

They are nice cars and I can see why you want one

I cannot comment on the CLK220 CDI, but my previous car, a CLK270 CDI Auto, I completed a journey from Swindon to Slough at 70mph using cruise control on the whole motorway journey, achieving 53.8mpg door to door.

IMG_0015.jpg

Always got mid 40s combined, wish I could do the same in my CLS :(

The clk 220 is not as good on fuel as an e220 which may seem odd. You will get very early 40's if you take it very steady. The clk 270 was a better car than the 220. The 220 only has 150 bhp and is quite noisy in comparison. Make sure you have a good drive in one before you buy it and reset the trip computer to check your mpg's. A clk 320 cdi would be a good alternative, the mpg will not be much different to the 220 and it is a more refined car.

A few years ago I fancied trading my C220 CDi in for a CLK220 CDi......I have got to say I was bitterly disappointed on the test drives I had. I found the engine really loud and gruff in the CLK for some reason, so much so that I thought the first one I drove had some sort of mechanical problem, but the second confirmed it was the same.

Power wise the CLK was 10bhp up on my 140bhp C, but when driving it, it felt like it was 30bhp down. Not sure if the CLK is a heavier car?

With this in mind, I would plump for the 270 any day of the week.

A few years ago I fancied trading my C220 CDi in for a CLK220 CDi......I have got to say I was bitterly disappointed on the test drives I had. I found the engine really loud and gruff in the CLK for some reason, so much so that I thought the first one I drove had some sort of mechanical problem, but the second confirmed it was the same.

Power wise the CLK was 10bhp up on my 140bhp C, but when driving it, it felt like it was 30bhp down. Not sure if the CLK is a heavier car?

With this in mind, I would plump for the 270 any day of the week.

It will be heavier than a C class.

I just sold my 55 reg CLK 320 CDi that I had for three years - I hoped the better fuel consumption of the 220 would compensate for the lack of performace (150 vs 224). Test drive proved to me that the performance was more important than economy. With the standard 7 sp box performance the 320 CDi was great - I would spend the extra on the v6.

Just a couple of things to say on this topic.

If you are looking for an 09 plate, your diesel options are the 220cdi or the 320cdi: the 270cdi, of which a lot of club members speak highly, was replaced by the 320cdi in 2005.

For some reason, Mercedes never did the cabriolet with a diesel engine.

I was looking at CLKs in the latter part of last year, initially with the intention of buying a cab, but went for a coupe in the end. The main reason was the engine range, as none of the petrol engines give good economy. The 200k is (IMHO) underpowered and also not very economical. 280 gives adequate performance, but even worse economy. As I wanted the car for everyday use, and we do not get that many sunny days for open top motoring, the coupe seemed a better option: also more available and cheaper to buy.

I have had it for six months now, and do not regret it at all. The car is attractive enough to be noticed, but sufficiently understated so as not to attract negative attention. Ride quality is superb, and considerably better than my previous 211 series e-class. Reliability has been fine, with only an oil leak to worry about: I was told this is fairly common by the garage, but a relatively easy fix. Mileage is 42-46 mpg on a run, with urban rarely dropping below 30mpg even in fairly heavy traffic. It never gets as high as the 50+mpg achieved by some 270cdi drivers, but I am not complaining. Only gripe is the interior build quality is not up to scratch, and there are quite a lot of creaks and rattles from the trim. I have got used to these now, but it really annoyed me when I first got the car.

There are quite a few 320cdi's out there, so you should be able to pick up a nice one, and they are a lot nicer to drive than a 220.

Happy hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom