clk 230 kompressor transmission problems and more

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maff_666

Car
CLK 230 kompressor convertible
Hi all
It's been a long time since I've been on Mercedes forums. I went away from Mercedes I'm ashamed to say, I've had many classic Mercedes like 190E's old s classes etc.
But just recently I purchased an old CLK230 kompressor convertible as a weekend toy. I bought the car knowing it had problems from my old boss at work, basically he had mounted the kerb and gone through a wooden fence.
This had damaged the front bumper, intercooler and split the coolant pipe for tranny, which over a couple of weeks leaked all the fluid out causing the gearbox to stop functioning, no surprise there apparently he didn't notice fluid all over his drive and drove it for a few days after the bump till he lost drive.Any way to the problems.
I thought I would just be able to replace the pipe fill the box with fresh atf and fingers crossed get away with it, but oh no. no such look. The car now won't shift passed second gear. It also has a few other problems, both o2 sensors short circuit to ground, adjustable can timing sensor short circuit to ground, purge control valve open circuit in wiring and air pump switch over short circuit to ground.
Now I only give £200 for the motor as I was expecting to have to work/spend money on it.
The car is a clK 230 kompressor convertible on 2003 plate in obsidian black.
Any advise from you wise folks would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for waffling on.

Thanks
Mathew.

I'd check to see if he's ripped the O2 sensors (or wiring) off the exhaust when he had his little expedition. - Same thing with the front of the engine.

You might get lucky and find it's just wiring that needs replacing. - Certainly a cheaper place to start than replacing components.

Thanks mate, i can't see owt i was hoping for something easy too. all fuses are good but i can't seem to find the fuse box for all the ECU plugs etc, unless these are the big box under windscreen on the passenger side of car but that says aircon system on it. Will check for bad earths etc. have resistance tested both Lambda/oxygen sensors and both are reading between 9 or 10 ohms, seems a little high but to be honest i don't know what they should be. Will keep playing with it and tell people what i find and hopefully fix.

Just had my Icarsoft i980 on it and found codes
G3/1 O2 sensor downstream TWC short circuit to ground[P0141]
G3/2 )2 sensor upstream of KAT short circuit to ground[P0135]
Y49 adjustable camshaft timing solenoid short cicuit to ground[P0010]
y58/1 purge control valve open circuit in wiring[P0444]
Y32 air pump switchover valve short circuit to ground[P0414].
Any got any ideas where to start?:doh:

Changed both lambda sensor pre and post cat. Car runs really smooth but ive still got the purge valve problem, does any one have any idea where the wire goes into the loom and comes out? so i can check wiring

It's a shame it ended-up being the sensors because they're not particularly cheap parts, but well done on getting it almost back to normal.

It's a shame it ended-up being the sensors because they're not particularly cheap parts, but well done on getting it almost back to normal.
No there not mate, but a little step closer to getting running properly just purge valve and secondary air valve oh and cam shaft knock sensor, i hate electrcial stuff give me engine to rebuild any day

Cheers

Yeh that was a big help.Intersesting worth a little time to investigate. Will have a look at the system tomorrow and post back what i find.

Thanks a lot

Mathew
Had a look today, changed the split vacuum pipe that went to the solenoid for air bypass into exhaust manifold. Still no vacuum when it's cold starting:dk:. supercharger.jpgNoticed this butterfly on the supercharger is always fully open, is this normal? it's an always engaged charger with no clutch. What's it do, is this a supercharger bypass and why?
Anybody know?
Cheers
Mathew.

Thanks for video, once again very helpful. I've got a problem then, because mine stays open no matter what i do. If it aint one thing it's another. Well at least i'm making progress because the car does'nt stink of fuel now when it's ticking over.
Can it be repaired, or is it a new one, they don't look cheap.
Is this the air pump switch over valve, fault code p0414?

Thanks for video, once again very helpful. I've got a problem then, because mine stays open no matter what i do. If it aint one thing it's another. Well at least i'm making progress because the car does'nt stink of fuel now when it's ticking over.
Can it be repaired, or is it a new one, they don't look cheap.
Is this the air pump switch over valve, fault code p0414?

Don't think so---- the air pump just operates for short time on start up in order
help warm up the catalyst by injecting oxygen into the exhaust stream. It appears to be operated/actuated by vacuum but controlled by a solenoid valve which switches its vacuum supply on/off.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/616870-p0410-fix-secondary-air-injection-smog-pump.html

I think the by-pass valve is electrically operated see this article
Why is Bypass Valve staying open 98 SLK 230 124K - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Don't think so---- the air pump just operates for short time on start up in order
help warm up the catalyst by injecting oxygen into the exhaust stream. It appears to be operated/actuated by vacuum but controlled by a solenoid valve which switches its vacuum supply on/off.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/616870-p0410-fix-secondary-air-injection-smog-pump.html

I think the by-pass valve is electrically operated see this article
Why is Bypass Valve staying open 98 SLK 230 124K - Mercedes-Benz Forum
More investigating to do then, good articles though. It would be easier if i had a wiring diagram and workshop manual to work from but can't seem to get one. Haynes manuals don't list one for my car.
Will keep on plugging away till i sort it. Did clean the vacuum actuator valve out but there is still only a little vacuum from that solenoid pipe it is sucking but barely. The valve that allows intake into exhaust was a bit blocked, cleaned that out and now when i put airline into it from compressor i can feel plenty of air coming out of exhaust.
Thanks for your help it's greatly appreciated:thumb:

Ordered Mercedes workshop manual today from flea bay.
Apparently it does all models from 1986 to 2008.
Has WIS, ASRA, EPC on it whatever that means. Hopefully this will help having a wiring diagram to work from.
Seems strange that i have all these faults together
Oxygen sensors pre and post cat. [now renewed]
purge control valve
secondary air switchover pump
camshaft sensor
MAF sensor[which is new but still ready low effort]
Air bypass on charger thats always open.
Is there a single harness that connects all these together, meaning like a harness just for the emission side of things. Looked at ECU in the box under windscreen on passenger side but everything is spotless and dry.

Air bypass valve, super charger

Done a little more digging around under bonnet today to explore the none closing super charger bypass valve. Took it off and opened it up, hoping to find it crudy inside but it was spotless, tracks intact and everything, so i dicided to put voltage across the prongs on the motor. When i put battery voltage on it it snaps shut, so it must be working, right?
When i turn the ignition on there's nothing, no buzzing like throttle body, not even a click. So my question is does anyone know where it gets its feed from? Do'nt want to start changing things if there not broke.
I know many people will recommend putting on a STAR, but unfortunatley i can't get it anywhere at the mo, cause it's not road legal. Could some kind person please shed some light.
Thanks
Mathew.

Where are you based?

You might find there's some kind soul who's willing to bring their STAR machine to you. - Maybe not, but you don't know until you ask.

Where are you based?

You might find there's some kind soul who's willing to bring their STAR machine to you. - Maybe not, but you don't know until you ask.
I'm in Leeds West Yorkshire .

Whats this relay do?

blue relay.jpg Does anyone know what the blue relay does, seems this relay is dead. Will order a new one and see if it clears some of the problems. Hoping it's the air bypass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom