CLK 280 2006 model - NTG version help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billyems

Car
clk280 2006
Hi all,

I have just purchased a CLK280 2006 sport and would like to update the Sat Nav DVD to the latest version. Can somebody help me find out which NTG version I have?

The current DVD in the CD drive is ver 6.1 - I would hope there is a later version of this available I can purchase somewhere? Is there also a firmware update available for the main system, or is it just a case of buying a more up to date DVD and inserting it in to run it?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Billy

Last edited:
V17.0 is the latest Nav DVD for NTG2; see https://www.commandonline.co.uk/europe-map-dvd-NTG2.html

I updated my 2006 CLK from version 4.0 to version 16.0 last year, simply by inserting the new Nav DVD. I believe these disks have any firmware updates on them as well as the map update. Mine did ask for permission to update the system immediately on insertion.

2 caveats - only use genuine disks, dubious origin copies have been known to brick the COMAND unit. Also, best to put car on a charger before starting, update can take up to a couple of hours and you don't want the COMAND unit to lose power during an update.

PS Note the price of the update disk - welcome to Mercedes-Benz.

As above. - I updated from 6.1 to 17.0 a month or so ago, and the experience was exactly as described.

It doesn't take very long to update the firmware, but you do have to sit quietly and let it do its thing until it's done. - No need to put the car on charge or have the engine running.

Part of the problem (as I understand it) is that the W209 doesn't share this version of COMAND with any other model, so you can't easily buy a replacement for it if you do nuke it with a burnt DVD. - Comandonline are the cheapest place I found for the disc.

As a corollary; if the disc you're buying says that you need to install V10 first (or "newer then V12" - note the spelling mistake), this is a BIG RED FLAG that someone is selling discs they've burnt from a torrent file.

Thank you so much for your replies PobodY and Codger49 - your help is really appreciated.

One more question if I may - are there any major differences with the new V17.0 NAV DVD update (other than obvious updated maps)? Any new functionality to the main system, or enhanced options?

Thanks very much!

Not really. - I was hoping they might have included 7-digit postcodes, but it doesn't.

V17 did do a better job of finding the front gate of National Trust properties (where V6.1 had a habit of trying to take me to service roads).

I think the dynamic routing and traffic warnings have improved, but that's hard to quantify.

To be honest, I don't use the satnav function, just navigate myself from the map display. As Pobody mentioned, the traffic warnings improved e.g. display of queueing traffic on nearby main roads.

Have you had any experience or views on replacing the whole headunit for a different one? A friend of mine mentioned you can buy merc headunits on amazon for around £350-£400 which have nav, bluetooth, touchscreen wifi, apps etc.

Here's a link to one i found:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KA7CLAO/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Any idea if these are good? Easy to fit? Any issues? Or any better units available?

I also require bluetooth for the car for my phone, as well as upgraded maps - these would cost around £300 anyway to add to my existing system , therefore if may makes sense to upgrade the whole thing for similar cost?

Thanks for all your help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom