CLK 500 Upgrading Suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rhys500

Car
CLK 500
Hi Guys, looking for some advice if anyone could maybe help :) I'm looking at changing my suspension on my 2003 CLK 500, old shocks are no good no more and I would like to lower the car at the same time. But the question is what should I get? Do I go for Bilstein Coilover Kit or some Bilstein Shocks and Eibach Springs. What would everyone think is better. At the same time I would like to keep the ride comfy too.

Last edited:
Funny that you posted now - I'm also looking to replace the soggy shocks & lower the suspension on my 2005 CLK500 Elegance.

Since I want to keep the comfy ride as well, I intend to go for the CLK500 Avantgarde springs+shocks. It should be about a 10mm drop.

I've found the Sachs part numbers for the shocks (I'll post the numbers once I dig out my notes), but the springs are a bit of a problem. I've used EPC & the weight calculator to get M-B part numbers, but the helpful parts guy at Greenoaks Reading pointed out that they belonged to a completely different model. His suggestion - get the reg number of a CLK500 Avantgarde (presumably with the correct options!) & use that to order the springs.

An alternative is to use standard shocks/springs & fit stiffer anti-roll bars.

A word of caution - the sportier CLK500 suspensions use M10 drop links at the front instead of M8. Some drilling of the ARB may be required.

Ian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom