CLK Air Con Issue - just in time for the sun!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ratbag

Car
CLK320 CDI
Hi
New to the forum so please bare with me :cool:
So, I think I've identified the strange inconsistent hissing noise coming from, what I believe was, somewhere behind the dashboard for the last month or so. After ruling out speakers and such the noise finally gave up and stopped last Tuesday in the 30 degree heat..... as did my Air Con :wallbash: I've read about re-circulation valves, Compressors, condensers etc but before throwing the car at a garage I'd like some feedback from the forum! I can't be the only one this has happened to....

Most grateful for any help.....

If the gas is low that can cause a whistling noise at the center vents.

It may just require a re-gas. Best bet would be to take it to a good Independent with STAR and have it pressure tested for any leaks, then if required a re-gas.

Thanks Brucemillar. Kind of expecting that however, after much trawling of the forum(s) you always try to find a description that perfectly matches your own! Then hope that it's something so obvious and easy you can fix it yourself with the turn of a key....!! Cheers again..

^

Well I hope that it is just a re-gas. My C55 did the whistling (very high pitched) from the center vents. I had it checked out by Andy at Wright Tec who re-gassed it using STAR. He found no leaks and over a year later it is still good.

Some on here say Kwik-Fit are good for a re-gas at £45. I would just be concerned about their ability to help if you have a leak.

Good luck.

I have a garage I use down here (in the South - Startech). Will send them an email and see what they say.. Heard horror story's of Dashboard removals and £1000 labour charges for a split pipe so ill see what comes of a re-charge and check first. Still, it's the UK... How hot can it get???

Hi,
Some if not all A/C systems on the 208 use air from the PSE pump, so the air you could hear may of been the supply for the A/C control pipes leaking, have you any other problems with the car? central locking issues etc? you could check by unlocking the car start car immediatly, and put your head in the boot by the inside of the fuel flap, if there is a leak then the PSE will operate for approx. 15-20 secs, then shut down to prevent it from burning out.

No other problems experienced although system was supposedly recharges about 15K miles ago (which is about 9 months ago). The hissing has been winding me up for about a month or longer which can equate to approx 2500 - 3000 miles over, again approx 70 - 80 driving hours. Hiss started quietly and grew to quite an audible volume over about 5 seconds with a 5 to 10 second gap before the next hiss started! Seems a long time to be leaking pressure, fluid or whatever....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom