CLK Boot release lever spring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab and 2021 BMW 520i M Sport Saloon
Afternoon Gents, 
Been a bit absent on the forums lately; I often check in but rarely have the technical know how to contribute! 

Today I have a quick tech question. 

Car: 2008 A209 CLK 350 Sport Cab (facelift model) 

The spring seems to have failed in the "boot release lever". Let me clarify.  
Remote boot unlock works fine using key fob or button on driver's door.  

But if I physically walk around to the boot and feel under the lid for the boot release (the little lever / flap above the number plate), the lever flap is floppy. The return spring seems to have failed. I can open the boot OK but manually pushing the lever back and then pulling it towards me, but the little return spring that should push it back has failed. 

Is this a common issue and does anyone know how to fix it? It feels like it should simply be a £1 spring from MB plus a bit of my time to fit it. Has anyone tackled this before - I'm wondering if it's a common issue? 

Thanks - and see you all at BOTG - I've booked my place again :)

Not sure if this would help, quick look on Ebay to see what the whole mechanism looks like, the release spring you mention is difficult to identify, but I think you can see it in the link below;

MERCEDES C CLASS/CLK/E/CLS/SLK GENUINE BOOT RELEASE HANDLE A2037500693 | eBay

But it is probably easier just to buy the whole unit and refit (providing that the key barrel can be swapped over)

Ltcan91 - thanks a million. Had a good look at the photos in the link you posted, then had another look at my boot in daylight and I can see the spring clip which has popped out.  

I reckon with a delicate bit of screwdriver leverage I can pop it back. 

Thanks - nice easy fix if my suspicions are correct!

Ltcan91 - thanks a million. Had a good look at the photos in the link you posted, then had another look at my boot in daylight and I can see the spring clip which has popped out.  

I reckon with a delicate bit of screwdriver leverage I can pop it back. 

Thanks - nice easy fix if my suspicions are correct!

Glad that this has helped you narrow down the issue, keep us posted on how you get on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom