CLK Sway or Roll?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leabrooks

Car
CLK 270 CDI
My CLK has started to roll (or sway) a bit on uneven roads mainly from the rear (or feels like the rear) any ideas, ARB's or shocks? No knocks or clangs just a soft 'ship at sea' roll and the car not feeling positive on the road. Any pointers welcome!

Maybe worn rear sub frame bushes, do you feel the car wandering a bit? Then again it could be as simple as worn shocks.

It doesn't wander as such, tracks true, just feels soft or 'mushy' at the rear?

Ah, o.k. so. Very possible it's shocks that are required but the car needs to be inspected. How many miles on it?

Ah, o.k. so. Very possible it's shocks that are required but the car needs to be inspected. How many miles on it?

113k, and I dont know if they've been replaced by other owners previously, whats the damage for a pair of rear shocks? Any ideas?

Fit new springs and dampers all round and get the as new drive back.

113k, and I dont know if they've been replaced by other owners previously, whats the damage for a pair of rear shocks? Any ideas?

Well if they are originals they are certainly past their best. As for price, it really depends on what you want. I wouldn't pay more much more than £120 for a standard pair. Have a look online, Euro Car Parts, G&S, eBay etc and try eBay.de too.

Thats what I'm thinking DM, any recommendations on shocks and springs OE or go with Spax, Bilsteins etc and a slightly lower spring say minus 25/30mm to drop the wheels into the arches a bit more without killing the suspension /steering angles ?

Thats what I'm thinking DM, any recommendations on shocks and springs OE or go with Spax, Bilsteins etc and a slightly lower spring say minus 25/30mm to drop the wheels into the arches a bit more without killing the suspension /steering angles ?

If you are willing to buy a complete set of shocks & springs look on eBay.de, I found the best value there for Bilsteins, Koni & H&R.

all categories?

Today I put the summer alloys on (two new Falken 914's front and old Conti's SC2 on the rear) and the roll seems to have stopped, I'm thinking it was the rear Hankook V12's sidewall on the 16's that was flopping giving a weird roll/ sway motion as I did a suspension bounce test (fine) ran it over uneven road surfaces (fine) yet it was flopping (best description) on corners and large road cambers. Still going to replace the shocks in the near future (and brake discs, brake lines, arb bushes..my god the list is endless...god damn you Mercedes...my 8 year old Citroen needed nothing in 4 years bar tyres and drop links!!!).

Lol, if they just worked like your typical modern european or far eastern car they wouldn't need a forum! :)

Check your sway bar bushings and brackets....

Ed A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom