CLK Water getting in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob-Suffolk

Car
CLK 320
Does anyone know of a common cause for water getting into the passenger footwell of a CLK 320? A couple of times now due to the recent heavy rains I have found water in the passenger footwell, the mat is saturated as is the carpet. The water comes down from the cover over the heater. It is deffinately rain water getting in somewhere but I cant find anything obvious. It's not a convertable and yes the window shuts properly

As the car only gets used at weekends it has time to build up and when I first use the car the passenger gets wet feet as any water trapped in the heater cover falls on there feet. My girlfriends mother was not overly impressed when it happened to her!!

I'm afraid I know little about the CLK, but the cause is almost certainly heater drains getting blocked with crud.

Does anyone know of a common cause for water getting into the passenger footwell of a CLK 320? A couple of times now due to the recent heavy rains I have found water in the passenger footwell, the mat is saturated as is the carpet. The water comes down from the cover over the heater. It is deffinately rain water getting in somewhere but I cant find anything obvious. It's not a convertable and yes the window shuts properly

As the car only gets used at weekends it has time to build up and when I first use the car the passenger gets wet feet as any water trapped in the heater cover falls on there feet. My girlfriends mother was not overly impressed when it happened to her!!

I had this a few years ago, it looked pretty horrendous to see water pouring down the inside footwell panel.

Luckily it is a really easy fix. Open up the bonnet and round by the passenger side firewall there is a plastic stub type thing with a rubber flap on the end. Difficult to see and you might have to feel around for it. Take the rubber end off (and pref throw it away - it seems to do nothing and actually cause the blockages). If you feel inside there is probably mud etc clogging up this pipe. If you can push this out of the way with a finger or wire coat hanger lots of water will flow out, and your problems will be sorted.

Did a post on blocked drains recently find that and you will cure the problem.

when I opened the compartment for the fan motor a litre of water along with gunk just came out. The design is a little poor as you if are not willing to sort it out yourself you will be hit with anything upto £800 to repair the damage.

CLK's can get blocked around the pollen filter area so ensure its all clear here.
Also the soft tops seals around the windscreen and door window cannot deal with heavy rain and water slowly drips in...

You would notice this though as it drips on your head when driving... very annoying... but we havent found a cure for this... it seems like the design is such that it can only deal with so much water as the channel is tiny for the water to drain away.

There is also a seal along the back of the engine compartment that can leak,mine did it as soon as i fitted it back into place the wetness stopped.

I agree with the soft top seals not being able to cope with heavy rain, with the drips on the head!

I spoke to my local MB dealer, Hughes of Aylesbury, who were excellent, who suggested cleaning the roof and then putting a sealer on it.

Have done this and has reduced the drips, not eliminated them, but certainly better. I used the autoglm hood cleaner and sealer rather than MB as it was cheaper.

Silicone grease along soft top seals works well, seems to stop the water being able to "wick" over the seal.

Thanks for all the replys, apologies for not getting back sooner work kind of gets in the way. I will look into all the suggested causes as soon as I get 5 minutes, until then I am keeping it in the garage to protect it from the fantastic summer weather we are having.

Once again many thanks

Thanks to all, as quite correctly diagnosed the drain hole was full of crud. I disposed of the little flap and asked my good lady who has much smaller hands than me to poke her fingers into the hole:eek: she was not impressed but a bottle of her favourite tipple soon won her round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom