CLK230 codes P0246 P0107

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kardanclk

Car
CLK230 W208
Hi,

Did quite a bit of search on the topic, but couldn't get anything relevant.

When I drive the car (or my gf) and suddenly stop sharp, the car goes into some awkward behaviour, misfiring and stuff. After switching the engine off for a few minutes, it drives normally again. Today, I read the pending codes (as nothing else was present) and I got P0246. Then I went for a drive and repeated sharp breaking (not that sharp really this time), the engine management light came on, the car was misfiring - it ran very poorly. Rear the codes, got: P0107, P0246, and another one for cylinder 3 misfire (don't remember the code - but I suppose it was the consequence of the previous two codes). Cleared the codes, P0107 and P0246 stay as pending codes now.

P0246 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Wastegate Solenoid 'A' Circuit High
P0107 - Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Low Input

Not sure where to start with it - check the solenoid - replace it? (where is it exactly?). Did anyone have a similar problem?

I did change both MAPs recently, so they cannot be the cause of the problem.

Any suggestions would be very welcome (other than the obvious, like - go to the garage...- I know that - it is the last option).

Thanks!

I had a C230K W202 (which is the same chassis and engine as your 208) and I had similar behavior, including an erratic throttle that would dip revs and choke the engine when I pressed the gas with a cold engine - it turned out I had accidentally disconnected an air line when I changed the oil filter. The line is a thin, translucent hard plastic line that just push-fits into a rubber connector. Mine was just under the engine cover by the oil filter cap - but follow and check all of them. The one I dislodged carries ambient pressure from the air box (pre-boost) to the MAF sensor and it screws up the mix. Hope this helps!

Thanks weidnerd. I checked all the vacuum hoses, all is fine with them. I am suspecting one of the 2 valves behind the throttle body (one of the valves is located on top behind the engine). I changed the one that easily accessible a few months ago when I had a MAF problem on the codes - the garage suggested changing both. Since 1 fixed the problems I didn't do the 2nd. Now I'm thinking I should do the second one too. Although it is a pricey valve (if I remember well around £100 from MB).

Any other suggestion would be helpful - the valve is a pain in the ass job (difficult access).

No problem weidnerd. Got the car to the local garage for a diagnosis and some fix. Turns out the codes are a consequence of the camshaft timing magnet leaking oil into the wiring harness, and then into the ECU.

Found a whole bunch of old posts on this on other forums, so it is quite a common fault on mercs. Will get the new magnet from the stealer, try and dry the wires as much as I can, remove the ECU, open up and spray the s*** out of it with some contact cleaner. This should work - I'll report once I'm done.

So for all others - if you get some awkward stuff going on from the engine management lights, check the camshaft timing magnet is not leaking oil into the harness. Could be perhaps related to a lot of previous problems I had with the car.

Ok, I opened up the ECU, no oil in there. Oil is on all of the connectors. I sprayed them all with contact cleaner, some oil dripped out of them. Dried. Reconnected all things, had a 15min drive with no warning lights on, but after that the two codes are back. I changed the magnet too.

It all seems to me that if the magnet is fine, the ECU is fine, the main culprit now is the wiring harness. MB prices it new at £453 for those that wish to know (and that is without the VAT). Need to find one from the breakers.

Question to those who may have the knowledge: for the same engine model car, would the engine wiring harnesses be different between 2 cars - I saw a few harnesses on ebay, but the part numbers were different than what I have. Not sure if I can just buy them and they would be fine, or if they need to be the exact match?

Thanks

Have you checked again for oil at the ECU connectors since driving it?

I'm no expert by any means..but I've been having similar issues with misfire and all sorts of other codes - Leaking cam magnets. I cleaned out all connectors and added 2 starter lines "blockers" to stop more oil getting in (dealers have them for around £23 including VAT each)
I keep checking the ecu and cleaning it out daily.. And past 2 days I had no codes and no more oil on ecu connector..

So it's probs worth checking/cleaning ecu connector again..

Still have some idling issues when stationary but I'm guessing that will be a different fault and that's getting looked at by a local Indy next weekend hopefully.

But as I said I'm no expert.. Just a chancer really haha

thanks guys, I will definitely look at the ECU again. I think I will follow what you're doing mathoo19 and just clean the connectors daily - thanks for the suggestion. Buying the wiring harness is a definite no. I'll report in a few days if the car feels any better.

Yeh I am hoping that I won't need to change the wiring harness.. Don't want to stick too much money into that old girl haha
saying that I think my O2 sensor is/will soon be shot as it popped up today when I scanned it (no warning light yet) Oil must have made it down there.. Plus the idling issue I have..so I'm sure it won't be cheap..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom