Clock and Comand.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
I know I should go and rtfm but I thought that the clock in a 212 was set for the region it was in by message from Comand. So, going ashore from the ferry in Holland I expected it to advance an hour all by its sweet self, but that didn't happen.

Or is there a setting I should be allowing?

Does it pick it up from RDS? - In which case, do you need to tune in to a local radio station before it will update the time?

That's how it works with the Sony head unit on my Nissan, but I appreciate Comand is a little more advanced than that.

COMAND is a GPS based system, and as GPS is basically a lot of extremely accurate clocks broadcasting the time I can't really work out why there needs to be any setting of the car's clock at all :dk:

My 2001 Vauxhall picked up the clock by RDS...... and that was 15 years ago.

Odly with Mercs it seems that the options are either manual settings or COMAND (GPS), but not RDS...

So why isn't Druk's clock updating? - Do you need to tell it you're in a different time zone to prevent it automatically converting UTC to BST?

COMAND is a GPS based system, and as GPS is basically a lot of extremely accurate clocks broadcasting the time I can't really work out why there needs to be any setting of the car's clock at all :dk:

This is what I expected to happen but didn't. Is it too much to ask that the clock be integrated with the GPS?

It used to "correct time" in my SL before I ditched the COMAND but COMAND had to be switched on before the clock would correct........same with GMT and BST in the UK.

My recollection is that during the original setting up of COMAND all that was done was telling the car where it was at the time.......

Mic

My Comand is on. Maybe it took the hump because I'm using a Garmin for navigating as the Comand is so crap. :dk:

You need to go to the System Menu and select Time. You then get a sub-menu that allows you to set the region you are in (e.g. Great Britain, Germany, etc.) and also whether or not you want to automatically or manually adjust for DST. Just select the appropriate time zone region and it will update the clock. BTW, COMAND sets its clock from the GPS signal, not RDS.

Now, I guess the question is "as it knows where I am (GPS), why doesn't it automatically set the time zone?".

I can't answer that, but I can say that I have a Garmin GPSR that does do that and it created havoc in my mind trying to work out what the arrival time vs. current time + driving time difference was when I did a journey that crossed time zones :crazy:

That worked. Thanks Phil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom