CLS 55 (2006) Delay Start Issue (UK) - Videos inside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sambam2006

Car
S63L AMG, GLC COUPE
CLS 55 (2006) Delay Start Issue (UK) - Videos inside

Hi Guys, I'm from the UK

I recently purchased a CLS 55 (5 speed) with only 35k miles on the clock.

However I'm having a small issue, when I start the car I get the occasional 1-2 second delay until I hear the engine idling straight after. Now this doesn't happen all the time it's just recently.

I have Tier 1 warranty cover in place but earliest Mercedes Benz appointment is 14th November now which is miles away and it's bugging me lol

Please see the videos below:

Normal Start up:
CLS 55 Start Up Delay Problem Part 2 - AMG (Normal Sound) - YouTube

Abnormal Start up:
CLS 55 Start Up Delay Problem - AMG (Not Normal Sound) - YouTube

Any views on this problem would be much appreciated as it's driving me nuts!

How old is the battery? Has it been checked properly using a CCA rating tester?

How old is the battery? Has it been checked properly using a CCA rating tester?

Thanks for replying :)

Na I haven't checked the battery yet, I don't think it's ever been replaced either.

Are we talking about the battery in the boot trunk? As I know this car has more than 1 battery

I would get them both replaced if never been done. But before doing so, get it checked. Halfords do a free battery check. All batteries have a CCA rating. Their kit will measure how strong your battery is.

I would get them both replaced if never been done. But before doing so, get it checked. Halfords do a free battery check. All batteries have a CCA rating. Their kit will measure how strong your battery is.

Thanks you have been very helpful, I didn't know Halfords offered a free battery check, saves me a trip to MB as Halfords is literally down the road where I work. So thank you again :).

I'm not so good with the testers so will let Halfords Staff do the check lol

I will update here shortly

Best Regards

The battery under the bonnet is just the back up for the brakes, the one in the boot does all the work.

Indirectly it is but more correctly the under bonnet battery is just a backup to the boot battery should system voltage drop critical. There is no direct connection to the aux battery other than through the BCM in the boot.

I believe only on the R230 does the the under bonnet battery have a specific function and that is to start the engine via a direct connection to the starter motor.

on CLS 55, remember that the big battery is covered by the lining of the spare wheel well .. you need to remove this piece, the battery is behind the well, parallel to the rear seats and just behind them.

The battery under the bonnet is just the back up for the brakes, the one in the boot does all the work.

Yeah I didn't realise this until after a bit of digging around.

Indirectly it is but more correctly the under bonnet battery is just a backup to the boot battery should system voltage drop critical. There is no direct connection to the aux battery other than through the BCM in the boot.

I believe only on the R230 does the the under bonnet battery have a specific function and that is to start the engine via a direct connection to the starter motor.

Hmm thanks for the information I didn't know that

on CLS 55, remember that the big battery is covered by the lining of the spare wheel well .. you need to remove this piece, the battery is behind the well, parallel to the rear seats and just behind them.

Yeah I was looking for the battery as we couldn't find it at first, in my cls 500 the battery was on the right side of the boot trunk but in the CLS 55 you have to remove the whole floor lining and the battery was behind that, we got there in the end. Thanks :)

General Update: I went Halfords today for a battery check as suggested by jazzyglobe, however the woman who did the battery check was struggling with the equipment and no one else was available. She did the check but due to the car being quite complex she was sweating lol.

The battery was fine she said, the only thing that caused an error was some battery noise check (She only tested the battery in the boot and not the Auxilary battery)

Yeah I was looking for the battery as we couldn't find it at first, in my cls 500 the battery was on the right side of the boot trunk but in the CLS 55 you have to remove the whole floor lining and the battery was behind that, we got there in the end. Thanks :)

I like to think that AMG moved the battery there to optimise weight distribution to improve handling and dynamics :D

It could be that your crankshaft position sensor is on its way out. Is the delay longer when the car is hot? Just had this replaced on my SL55, to cure a similar problem. There would be more and more clicks prior to starting. Once it goes you cannot start the car.

The part cost about £80.

Thank you everyone for your replies and support.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.

Due to no loan cars available at the Mercedes Benz MK Retailer they had to push my date forward for the repair as well as getting the parts in from Germany.

I took it to Milton Keynes MB Retailer and they diagnosed it and found a couple of problems

• The coolant pump
  • and Main Battery

They will be replacing these in a couple of weeks time. So if anyone have similar problems then these might be possible solutions however I'd advise and get it checked with MB Retailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom