CLS grande edition cold start problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shipley

Car
CLS
Hi all, for the last month or so my Grand edition CLS 350 has developed a cold start problem. I always wait until the glow plug light goes out and there are no warning lights on the dash. The relay has been taken out and cleaned to no avail.

It can crank for 10seconds before it fires and is then fine for the day. It has never failed to start even on the coldest days but I’m assuming this problem will get worse.

Any ideas on a possible cause ?

Thanks in advance

The relay is a sealed unit so I don't know how it could be cleaned?

When mine had a similar problem the relay was knackered , once replaced it has been fine.

Kenny

Thanks Kenny - it was only the connections that were cleaned (clutching at straws !!)

Do you remember the part # of the relay? Any indications on the dashboard?

Hi, nothing showing on the dash and I haven’t got the part #to hand but will dig it out tomorrow and see if I can find one for sale

There are a few versions and some of them are known to be faulty, that's why I'm asking. This is mine, for example.
e8fd7dd372eb37761c76a585d7f2bb0d.jpg

Beru are OEM. They go for around 100 quid on eBay.

Great - thanks for that. I’ll dig out the number in the morning when it light.

Great - thanks for that. I’ll dig out the number in the morning when it light.
Did you get the number? I have the same issue and wonder if the fault is in the relay..

Here are both new and old relays for the W219 Grand Edition.

Kenny

Rsorry for the delay but yes.....mines the same as the one on the left in the above photo. I’ve ordered a replacement so will respond when it’s fitted.

Had same issue on my cls 320 cdi. Relay and glow plugs replaced. So far so good.

Mine was the same. It used to take a minute of cranking to start from cold. Once I fitted a new relay it was perfect. I bought a Beru on eBay. It was a different shape to the original but worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So by way of an update - ordered the below last night to cover all bases as my number correlates with those listed. Should be with me tues/weds. BERU are out of stock until the end of Jan.

I’ll report when it’s fitted

Mercedes-Benz Cls 2005-2010 C219 Beru Relay Glow Plug Ignition Replacement Part | eBay

I would have gone for the part that superseded the current one you have, which is probably factory. In the image posted above it shows the smaller unit, which is the current one as I had fitted on my CLS a year ago.

So the new one arrived (it is the smaller one after all) and has just been fitted. The engine was warm so I’ll know tomorrow if it’s fixed. Fingers crossed !!

So just for completeness - the relay has been replaced for the new style and the cold start this morning was perfect !

Happy Days and thank you for all the help and pointers.

So just for completeness - the relay has been replaced for the new style and the cold start this morning was perfect !

Happy Days and thank you for all the help and pointers.

Good news. When replacing parts always go for the newer one as long as it is compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom